Is this true

My ex is in the Army. He called to tell me that the government might be shutting down for a time and therefore he won't be getting paid (but will be working). He said they will pay him eventually but until then, he can't pay child support. Is this true? If it is, I understand and won't hold it against him (he already owes me $5000 from back child support anyway) but he is the kind of person who would make this stuff up.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• My MIL works for a government office and she said about the same thing. They will continue to work, and get paid "someday".
    Mammaw0604

Answer by Mammaw0604 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes, it is very true. Check online for information on the government shutdown in 2011... If they can't reach a compromise on a new budget by midnight, there will be no military (or other govt) pay until they can agree on a budget.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• As far as I know even if the government shuts down, military personnel (especially ones fighting overseas) still get paid. They have a special fund/contingency plan for that to preserve the moral of people making the ultimate sacrifice.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes it is true. If they do not come to a deal soon the government will shut down till there is an agreement/deal made.
    joni80

Answer by joni80 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes it is true. The military is required to go to work and not be paid in the event of a Govt shut down. He will eventually get paid for his time when a new budget is approved, but in the mean time he is working for free. If your child support is court ordered and garnished you can contact the office and see if you can get it all taken out of his first check when pay returns.

Answer by gemgem at 9:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yep. IF the government shuts down government employees - including military - will continue to work, but will have pay held until things are returned to normal. Other positions simply will cease to exist until things are normal again...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They haven't yet so I wouldn't panic. If he's behind that much he should be in jail. I would call your local child support enforcement and get on with getting that back support paid up.... He's just using this to put you off. He's obviously not too worried otherwise since he is behind, so get your back support.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sadly it is true.. Dont worry though. Your congressmen and women and the Senate will still get all their pay.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yep, I'm in the Army also. And it's true :( Just remember though, he will get one more check on the 15th b/c the pay period started before this shutdown (if it does happen) and back pay!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They won't put him in jail if he's making amends, should he be in jail? That's another thing lol. But if you do have troubles with him and you can reach his commander, it WILL BE paid :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011