Is 21 months too early for a toddler bed?

My 21 month old has always gone to bed with no problem. We can lay her down and with minimal fussing she just lays there and goes to sleep. Well something has changed .... the last two nights when i put her to bed, she just screams and she has figured out how to climb out of her crib. I am afraid she is going to get hurt but i think she's too young for a toddler bed.

Any thoughts?

jjengle

Asked by jjengle at 9:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think so, that's when I moved my son over. It did take a long time for him to get that he needed to stay, but no I don't think it is to young. Just stay calm and be patient and keep putting him back any time he gets out. GL
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My middle dd was in a twin bed at 18 months old
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My youngest went into his bed at 19 months because he was climbing out of his crib.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Every kid is different. If she were to get up in the middle of the night, do you think she'd get into something she shouldn't? If the answer is no, then she should do OK with a toddler or twin bed. I knew my sons would get into trouble when they started climbing out of their cribs. One started climbing out at 10 months, the other was 14 months. I decided that the only way I would sleep is if they had crib tents to keep them in their cribs.  DD wasn't a climber and didn't get into things.  We moved her to a twin bed at 30 months with little problem.  (She stopped napping when she moved to a bed.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, not to young. i would put her in it .
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No - all 4 of mine have gone straight into either a regular twin or full size bed between 20-24 months.

Answer by missanc at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think its fine. That is around the time I got my girls toddler beds, they just have ones with half a rail.. it doesnt extend down the whole bed. They figured out how to climb out of their cribs too and that was also a concern of mine. I felt more comfortable with them ina bed they dont have to climb out of in case they do wake up. They love their beds!!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Ds was 14 mo when Dh heard him making grunting sounds... opened the door to see him hanging upside down over the front of his crib, holding himself up with his hands... and he sleeps like your dd. We didn't ever have the fit-throwing before we switched. He will be moving to a big bed probably next year when he turns 3, if he can climb it, lol. Imo, she's plenty old enough.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We had to move my youngest son at only 15 months old because he was crawling out of his crib and I was worried about his safety. He is now 18 months old and has adjusted VERY well! Nap times were a struggle for a few weeks, but it just took persistence on my end and he finally gave up (he kept climbing out of bed and refusing to sleep)!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i think when they figure out how to climb out of their crib it's time for a toddler bed. i don't think it's too young.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011