I have a 6 yr old daughter and she is horrible for me. I ask her to do something and she will ignore me. She just won't listen to me. I ask her to fold her clothes or clean her room and she breaks out into instant tears. Is this normal behavior?

I've been bringing her to a therapist but it's been no help. The therapist thinks her behavior is normal.

PrettyMomma24

Asked by PrettyMomma24 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds pretty normal to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yup normal. She's trying to manipulate you and it sounds like it's working pretty well for her.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• When you ask her to do something, HOW do you do it? If she bursts into tears....that is not a god sign. Are you scaring her? WOw...I had three kids and they didn't burst into tears when I asked them to do something. Be more positive ....don't nag....explain why she shuld do whatever it is you want her to do.....lighten up.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sounds pretty normal to me too. My son does that sometimes but I just put him back into place. I take away his rights and have him remember that I am his mother and he has to respect me. Just try to put your foot down and hopefully it will be better.
    Good luck.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sounds normal to me too, but I also wonder if she is overwhelmed by the tasks you're asking her to do. Cleaning a room can be a big task to a kid and it might help to break it down into one thing at a time, like "put your books back on the bookshelf" then "find all the doll things and put them away" etch. It also might help if you do it with her. Instead of telling her to fold her clothes (which my 5 1/2 year old could not do!) ask her to help you fold them, or ask her to fold her clothes while you fold yours. If she still cries or ignores you then maybe it is a behavior problem and not just that the task is too hard, but I still don't think it's abnormal.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try praising her more for doing something good(even for the smallest things), even if you didn't need her to do it at that time. My oldest is 4 and she tries to help and I always make a point to say thank you for being such a big helper today and u did an amazing job. Be Positive!! Kids learn from example and if u are being negative she will pick up on that.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My niece's little girl is very emotional too. Do things together and praise her a lot until she gets over this phase.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Typical. Mine does that too. She just isn't allowed to do anything else until she does. And if her tantrum gets too outta hand then she goes in time out for it, and is sent back to finish what I ask of her.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have a six year old and the same thing happens,, We work on a reward take away system,, I ask him 2 times to do something, and if he chooses not to he loses something, like playing with his leapster of going to the park. I have also found it easier to break things into smaller tasks, perhaps asking to fold clothes and clean the room is a bit overwhelming? We start with please pick up your toys,, then when that is done.. pleas bring mommy your dirty clothes...I am amazed a 6 year old can fold clothes! I am 44 and am still not that great at it, LOL! Hang in there momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My five year old is the same way...it is manipulation. Don't fall for it. We have had an ongoing battle over cleaning her play room and doing her school work. She will throw an unholy fit over it, will eventually do it, but the second one of us is distracted by something else, she quits doing whatever it was she was supposed to be doing. We have had some serious discipline in our house lately, because I know that I want this nipped in the bud!!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011