I don't understand(honestly), if you are a Satanist that doesn't believe in Satan, aren't you just an atheist??

I noticed some people on here go back an forth. I'm really confused now. Sorry not trying to piss people off, I'm just curious.
I've even seen some people who have said they are pagan, say they are now Satanist, or atheist. What is the difference??

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    There is no difference, they are all unbelievers and will all be put into the same pot eventually. Most of these women on this website claim to be from all these funky religions to stir up shit, how many women in real life do you meet are all these funky beliefs, it doesn't match the population on this website.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The difference is the philosophy that each follows.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Satanism is a belief system. Generally it is an Atheistic one, but it's still a belief system. Since most Athiests do not belong to any system of belief that does set Satanists apart from other Athiests.

And to Anon- Chances are you meet quite a few people with these "funky religious beliefs" and simply don't know it. It's not like non-Christians are required to wear a mark on their coat...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Pagan is an umbrella term for anyone not of an Abrahamic faith. So pagans in general can have innumerable amount of differing beliefs including being an atheist. And an atheist, although they do not believe in god/s, can have other spiritual beliefs. These are just umbrella labels, and each person brings their own individual beliefs.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i had no idea The Great & Powerful Oz was anon!! (pay no attention to the gal behind the anon-curtain.)

even believers in God/god/goddesses can have 'funky beliefs'...haha..thanks for the morning laugh, anon.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I honestly don't understand either. It seems to me that a Satanist would be an Atheist, after reading the stuff that has been posted. Not being offensive here, so please no down votes. I just don't get it.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Wouldn't a Satanist still acknowledge that God exists?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think it may help to compare it with atheistic Buddhism. Buddhism has theistic, pantheistic, and atheistic practitioners. Buddhists who do not believe in a god still have spiritual practices and beliefs. So, you can apply that to Satanists. They do not believe in god but follow a particular philosophy.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• And also to confuse the issue even more, there are different types of Satanists including ones that do believe in and worship the Biblical Satan.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not all religions worship a deity, some like Buddhism and  LaVey Satanism follow a philosophy.

Satanism, properly defined in the modern context, is a religious philosophy promoting the supremacy of the individual through the development and strengthening of the ego. It is a form of positivism in that it holds to the belief that true knowledge can only be acquired through objective sense experience and observation. While metaphysical speculation is not entirely avoided, such theoretical knowledge is treated as entirely subjective and not considered authentic or genuine. Thus, Satanism is ultimately a religion and philosophy of objective sense experience.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011