What do you look for in a house?

I thought I was going to buy a house a few months back but that prooved to be a dive. So we are looking again. We have ran into some dives already.What we can afford vs houses isn't easy but there area few. Problem is the yard. We have three dogs and don't want have them cooped in the house all day so we watn a yard so we all can play. I have 2 kids and one on the way. We aren't looking to selling after a few years either. So what do you look for when you buy or what do you want in a house when you are ready?

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• What each person looks for is directly influenced by the buyers needs. For parents with kid's, I think they should look for good schools, how close is shopping, the ER, the Dr's offices, entertainment, parks and playgrounds for the kid's On the house side, you look for what you can afford, the # of rooms and bathrooms you think you need, the condition of the property and do your homework as to what similar houses your looking at sold for. There are SO many houses out there now that it REALLY is a buyers market. And likewise there are allot of over inflated house prices out there as well. Knowing what the same kind of house sold for the month before is a good way to not overbid as well as getting an inspection on any used home you buy.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• a great school system, you can fix up the house, you can't do much with the school system.
    location, access to good shopping low crime and highways
    affordability, and price including any changes you want to make
    inspection, what is found that has to be repaired
    neighbors, you want neighbors that take care of their houses too
    adaptability, can a room be changed into a library or den. Can kitchens be opened up. can non support walls be taken down easily. can flooring be replaced easily. can closets be made bigger as your family grows. Can rooms be added easily on the lot as your family grows. Can you park more than 2 cars in the driveway.
    GL!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I research the neighborhood for crime, how good the schools are, and cleanliness of the house itself. I look for good insulation, central air and heat. Large backyard, preferably enclosed. I also need a rather large kitchen with alot of cabinet space and/or a pantry. I also prefer dead end or cul de sacs.

Answer by gemgem at 9:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We looked at the area. (Good school system, low crime, ect.). When it came to the house it's self we knew we wanted 4 bedroom (we have twin sons who will eventually get their own room) and a yard. Working with that criteria we talked to a couple of real estate agents, then found WE found our home online (without anyones help).
    MaryanneMac

Answer by MaryanneMac at 10:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• A great school system, a good fenced in back yard, a good neighborhood, i would like 4 bedrooms, playroom, family room, 1 level, 2 car gargage, hardwood floors, lots of storage.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 11:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• garage (2-car), closet space, kitchen space, number of BR and bathrooms, space, storage space, yard size
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 2:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• oh and neighborhood, school system, location, upkeep
    SherriPie

• Good neighborhood, good schools, garage, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, large kitchen.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011