Lunch monitors enforcing silent lunches at school!

My son was given a writing assignment by the lunch monitor for "shushing" another kid during lunch. The lunch monitors decide when to have a silent lunch. The kids are to eat silently! Another student was talking to him and he shushed him and got in trouble.
Personally I think it's cruel to have silent lunches! Lunch is 18 minutes long and should be the time where the students get to talk to class mates.
I understand if the students are getting rowdy or having food fights, but really silent lunch is cruel! If the lunch monitors can't handle noisy students they shouldn't be lunch monitors!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it depends how often they have silent lunches, if it's just once in a while when the children are being really loud and naughty then I think it's not too bad. I guess it's just like losing recess priveleges.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If they only have 18 minutes to eat, they have no time to talk. My kids have 30 - 45 minutes for lunch and it's not enough time to eat everything I pack.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Here they only have silent lunches if they are bad. It is a punishment.

Answer by gemgem at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My kids say their silent lunches are about 1/2 the time. I didn't know :(
    since_3.18.93

Answer by since_3.18.93 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011