Lunch monitors enforcing silent lunches at school!

My son was given a writing assignment by the lunch monitor for "shushing" another kid during lunch. The lunch monitors decide when to have a silent lunch. The kids are to eat silently! Another student was talking to him and he shushed him and got in trouble.
Personally I think it's cruel to have silent lunches! Lunch is 18 minutes long and should be the time where the students get to talk to class mates.
I understand if the students are getting rowdy or having food fights, but really silent lunch is cruel! If the lunch monitors can't handle noisy students they shouldn't be lunch monitors!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like the monitors need to be replaced. I would say something to the principal. It is not their job to give out writing assignments. I would be mad as hell too!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Visit a middle school cafeteria at lunch and you will see the need for silent lunches. The kids are obnoxious and extremely loud where it interrupts other classes. You can NOT hear anything in the cafeteria. The kids have 20 minutes to get their lunch and eat it. My son has been in line to get his lunch for 10 minutes and had 10 minutes to eat. There is no time for socializing. I have been in the cafeteria at lunch and it is chaotic, kids are disrespectful and out of control and need the quiet time in order to eat. The kids have to EARN talking at lunch by being respectful to the students and staff.

I do NOT agree with kids being made to write papers because they told someone to be quiet. That is just wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am not fond of the idea of silent lunches. I remember this was a chance to socialize, make friends, argue (not fight), resolve issues...a necessary part of learning and development. But also a break from the academic part of school. A time to rest my brain and regroup before going back in again. Sad we can't allow kids to do this. I understand the reasoning. The idea kids talk and not eat. But that is up to the kid. If they don't eat they get hungry. They learn to eat and to talk. We can eat, listen, talk, and be okay. I have had many business lunches where we have done this. If this were my child I would talk t him about shrugging it off. A year from now it won't matter he shushed a kid and was given a small consequence. I would look at the bigger picture. I would want to talk to other parents and advocate the end of silent lunches through petition or PTA.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:58 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sounds like your child's school is run by Nazi's. Lunch is the kid's time to interact. What's the point of making them do it silently? There is NO good point in my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This is happening in my daughter's elementary school; the adults are constantly "shushing" the kids, saying they need to be quiet at the lunch tables. EXCUSE ME??!!?? I've volunteered and the kids are being treated as if they are in the classroom ... hello? It's lunchtime and they should be allowed to get loud; they're not robots after all!!! Then they wonder why kids are fidgety in the classroom. What next? No running on the playground? What the hell ever happened to common sense????????????
    Anonymous

• Silent lunch is ridiculous!! These are children and they should be allowed to talk to their friends at lunch and at recess.

I would go straight to the principal. You may have to go to the superintendent. In our system, the lunch monitors don't work for our school, they work for food services.

Your poor son! How frustrating. And I can't believe a lunch monitor is allowed to assign an essay.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• shrug. I had silent lunch every day for almost the entire 7th grade because the boys in the class were disrespectful to the lunch monitor. We ate in our classrooms and they were throwing stuff out into the hall (trying to get it into the classroom across the hall), talking back to the monitors, being loud, etc. At first we had to sit in our homeroom seats for lunch and when they didn't stop we got silent lunch. The teacher agreed with it and no parents ever thought to complain. We didn't have recess so lunch was our only "socializing" time except for maybe gym which we had once a week.

Obviously there's a reason for the silent lunches. Writing a paper for tying to help the lunch monitors keep the peace is wrong, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my kids have silent lunches only on Friday's durning Lent but they also go to a Catholic school. BUT, otherwise, I think, it's dumb. They get less and less recess and now, they can't talk to each other at lunch. Once a week for a few weeks won't hurt my kids, but all the time.. No..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I went to a school that had silent lunches. it was AWFUL! but the school was pretty awful too anyways. It's a shame that kids can't even talk during lunch.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think silent lunches are ridiculous. Unless the children are getting extremely loud and obnoxious, they should be allowed to talk to their classmates. Drop in during your child's lunch time and observe the situation. I suggest that you then discuss with the principal and bring other parents with you who feel the same.
    Chiqui52

Answer by Chiqui52 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2011