Help!!how do i talk to my 5yr. old about sex??

i think its to early..but i just found out that my daughter has got some kind of sexual behavior going on. now i dont know why it would be happening if i talk to her about these things.but im picky about what i say,since shes only five.are these warning signs of sexual abuse by some one??I AM VERY SHOCKED that this is going on.please help!! i dont know what to do or what to say to her

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well it depends. Overly sexual behaivior(not normal sexual behavior) usually is from a child being overexposed to sexual situations, they don't process them like an adult. Or abuse. You need to talk to your daughter and ask her if anyone has been innapropriate with her, or touched her in her private areas. Maybe sit her down with some crayons and a color book at the table, and calmly ask her if she has seen anything that she thought was weird or uncomfortable lately, a movie, a friend, etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't automatically jump to sexual abuse HOWEVER to rule it out I think you need to talk to her NOW. The quicker you do it the better if something is going on. Just ask her where she got the ideas from, it could just be a child at school, but then again I'd want to inform the school about the child too just in case they're in danger. Good luck.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 9:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It depends on what type of sexual behavior. Kids learn very early, and it's normal, that it feels good to touch themselves. If that's what she's doing, no worry and just tell her that's something to do in private only.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Wow! 5 years old seems way too young to talk to her about sex. What is the problem exactly? I would get as much info from her about her issues then go from there about how much info you want to give.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with kayalouise. Talk to her now. Ask her if somebody has touched her in a place that her clothes cover. Keep me updated,please.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with missanc. It is completely normal for instance for a child to touch themselves. Most of my kids did. All you do is explain that is a private thing they do in their room. However if they are mimicking sex, or something you think they are copying then you talk to them about good and bad touching. You do not have to get into a sex talk with a 5 yr old. There are plenty of good touch/bad touch books and websites out there.

Answer by gemgem at 9:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• hmm tell her is is HER private and nobody else should touch it and ask if somone has before...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011