Question about co-sleeping

When my son is born I will have him in a bassinett beside my bed so that it will quick and easy to breastfeed during the night...is this the same as co-sleeping???

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know if it's "co-sleeping" or not, but if it works for you, who cares? I tried to get my daughters to sleep in a bassinet next to my bed...for me, that would have been the ideal arrangement. However, neither one of them would sleep in the bassinet--they'd squirm and fuss. I ended up putting them in the bed with me, but neither my DH nor I could sleep very soundly with a newborn in the bed; we were so afraid of smothering her, it was like we never really fell all the way asleep. I wish the bassinet would have worked out for us! Anyway, just go with the flow and find what works for you guys. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No not in my opinion. Cosleeping is sharing a bed.

Answer by gemgem at 10:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• There's lots of very different (and passionate!) opinions about co-sleeping...it's one of those "hot button" topics, lol. Just research the stats to see what you think, and ultimately, you have to see what YOU are comfortable with when your baby gets here. Some people sleep great w/ an infant in the bed...again, it didn't work that great for my hubby and I and we moved the baby to her own crib at 4 months just so we could get some good sleep again. Other people have different experiences though.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Technically, "bed-sharing" is sharing a bed. "Cosleeping" is sleeping nearby (often used to describe having a crib in the same room). However, when people say "cosleeping", most people think "bed-sharing".
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 10:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Co-sleeping isnt that awful if you are breastfeeding. I co-slept with my little one...but I'm a single mom so I didn't have anyone else in the bed with me. I can't imagine it being another way...BUT if i could go back I think i would have tried to get her to go in to her own bed when she was a couple months old. She is 2.5 and still sleeps with me. Not that ideal.

I'm pregnant with my next baby and I am going to try my hardest not to co-sleep. I will be breastfeeding but idk what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to get my daughter used to her own bed before the baby comes.

it is only dangerous if you are a heavy sleeper. But I always was conscious that my baby was next to me and I never everrr ever rolled over on her.

Honestly, co-sleeping is a good bonding moment. I remember the day she woke up and touched my face for the first time...it was so cute! of course you can have those moments other times too. Just saying.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I've never shared a bed w/ any of my kids because my dh sleeps way too soundly, and I found that when I'm totally exhausted, so do I. I also never wanted my kid to get so used to sleeping w/ me that they never slept well in their own beds. I've heard too many horror stories. lol. It can be dangerous, but mills. of people do it w/ no prob. so it's up to you. I would do the bassinet by the bed. But that's just me.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Co-sleeping is sharing a bed.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Co sleeping is baby sleeping in close proximity to you. Bed sharing is when baby sleeps WITH you. Google safe co sleeping rules for tips on how to safely co sleep.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I thought that it was dangerous to share a bed with an infant???
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• What is a safe way to do this? I've always heard that sharing the bed with an infant was very dangerous
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011