How much to charge for new house cleaning job?

I clean houses for friends and a couple family members i charge anywhere between $50 and $60 depending on how bad it is, and all i clean there is 1 bathroom, kitchen with a huge build up of dirty nasty dishes, tiny dinning room, small living room, computer room/landing a small entry way.
I'm going to start cleaning a house for our neighbor in May and am tryin to figure out a price to charge her. Her home is over 2,000 sqf she wants the 4 bathrooms cleaned 4 bedrooms vaccumed and dusted, kitchen cleaned, wiping down the basebored, wiping down the front of the kitchen cabinets, cleaning the stair railings and the dining room tables and chairs.
I was thinking maybe $75 but really can't afford to be turned down
Thanks

Malibu1979

Asked by Malibu1979 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sounds right to me. Make her the offer. I do cleaning for one friend huge house. Takes me at least 3 hours and they pay me $80.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• $125 - $150 Thats allot of Sq footage and lots of dusting and cleaning. If you have to change sheets and do dishes or laundry for them charge more.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would set an hourly rate and ask her to tell you what she wants done. I think you are getting screwed honestly. I would pay someone $10 or $12 an hour to clean, and we do not live in any sort of "rich" town. It would basically be vacuuming the rooms, sweeping and mopping the hard floors, counters, tubs, toilets, mirrors. I think charging by the hour would cut down on nasty messes like the dishes or at least make it worth it.

If you do a flat rate, make sure the wage per hour is worth your time...and I would also consider whether this would be a regular, steady, job for you.

I DEFINITELY don't think you would get turned down at $75.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• That sounds reaonable to me. I might even charge more, since it's such a bog house.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• call Molly Maid or other cleaning service and get an estimate what they would charge. Every area is going to be different (ie: California vs. Arkansas price).

OK, got off the phone with my daughter who works for a cleaning company. For a team of 2 they charge $70 per hour, they clean huge homes that take 2 people 3-6 hours. (they are professionals , they also have to pay for insurance and licensing etc) This is her suggestion, first time charge by the hour ($15-$20) so you and the homeowner know what time it will take (and the first clean is always the hardest), then establish a flat rate ($40-50 ish ) and then charge per room on top of that (she suggested $5 per bedroom, $8 per bathroom and kitchen if weekly, charge a $1 or 2 more if only once a month...more time to get dirty)

Hope this helps
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• oh, i forgot, she said the most important thing is to make sure the homeowner understands your time is money and valuable, DO NOT undervalue yourself or your service!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011