Government shutdown

*****please do not get rude aboutwhat other opinions are******

so ive been reading up on this government shutdown and its really getting under my skin, my sister called me yesterday in tears over this cause the military is at a pay freeze, and if the shutdown occurs her husband wouldnt be getting paid, they would lose everything if it last a while or fall behind on their bills, but the president and congress would still be receivng there checks.... wait what? that was my first thought,my second thought was wtf, on top of that it would be more expensive to do a shutdown then it would to remain open.. sorry imo the goverment has spent more than what was in the bank if i did that i would be fined by my bank and no one would bail me out.... can anyone give me any other insight this that im not seeing?

touchingstars

Asked by touchingstars at 10:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• your right the congress and president should take the pay cut they are the ones who over spent
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 10:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Bullshit is what it is. Not fair.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Keep reading up on it. I bet you will get even more pissed off. I am LIVID! Search what obama has vetoed...I would love to give him a piece of my mind!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I really think if it does shut down it won't be for long. The military will be paid for 1/2 a week of work (yes it sucks) and then WILL be paid back pay when things are settled. I think most could survive for a week without pay and unless you have a loan through a loan shark or the mob I think any bill that needed to be paid "right then" would be forgiven until they get paid. If you need food money then don't pay the cell bill and call them and explain the situation. I bet my right arm they will not have a problem waiting. Americans need to realize they need to save every penny they can because they are on their own. You just can't live paycheck to paycheck anymore. Republicans passed a bill to pay the military but the Dems and President refuse to look at it.
    You are right that congress should not be paid and some of them have said they will not accept their pay as long as government is down. It should be mandatory.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Legally the sitting Congress can not change their own pay. Even if they 'wanted' to cut their pay, the only thing they can do is change the pay of the next Congress. Sucks doesn't it!
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 10:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• where can i find that website?
    touchingstars

Comment by touchingstars (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This is 100 percent political. Dems are counting on the American people being angry at Repubs over this. This was planned they had a long time before Repubs were sworn in back in January to get a spending bill in place. They had two years to get their agenda passed. They want talking points but anyone with a brain will see it for what it is. They want people afraid and angry and so far it is working who they will blame and stay mad at for this is to be seen.

I am a Democrat and find the political game being played with our troops and others disgusting. Makes me ashamed to be a Democrat. Repubs are not blameless but this situation is the blame of Dems in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• they would lose everything if it last a while or fall behind on their bills

They need to call their creditors and/or landlord and explain what is going on. They can't get kicked out of their house. If they bank with USAA or some of the service member credit unions, then they need to call to see what they can do for them.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i honelsst could careless whose fault it is, we all have our faults but dont make ur mistake someone else problem
    touchingstars

Comment by touchingstars (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• matthewscandi i will pass that on to her
    touchingstars

Comment by touchingstars (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011