How do i get my 11 month old to sleep without breastfeeding?

My little boy is a happy healthy baby and used to be able to self settle easily after moving house and being in a bit of chaos his routine was out of whack!! I nurse 3 times a day, and he usually drifts off for his naps after feeding. If i don not feed at nap times he will not go to sleep. I have tried a little controlled crying but found it very stressful and seemed not to settle him him after long periods. I am hoping to wean once he is 12 months and am worried that this habit will cause sleep associated problems for the future.
P.S. He will not take a bottle or formula in any form of cup - only water...............Cheeky and Determined!!

Anastasia05

Asked by Anastasia05 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i'm really hoping you get some answers because i'm in the same boat! :) my son is just six months old and sleeps pretty well, but almost always falls asleep while breastfeeding. it's my own fault...he drifts off so peacefully when nursing that i've always let him do it. he'll drift off sometimes in other ways (being rocked or held and patted, or in the car or on a stroller ride), but when he's at home, almost all his naps and night sleep is preceded by breast feeding.

you seemed to say your son used to self-settle...how did you get him to do that originally? did you do sleep training or did he just not start out falling asleep at the breast?
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2008