Foot massage inducing labor?

Has anyone gotten a pedicure and foot massage that has caused labor to begin?

My friend's mom wanted to treat me to a pedicure before baby #2 is born but when she talked to her pedicurist, she said they do not give foot massages to pregnant women because there are pressure points that could cause labor to start early. Has anyone heard of this? I have heard of pressure points in the foot but I did not know they could cause labor!

If this is the case, has anyone gotten a foot massage near their due date to help get the baby out?

enohp04

Asked by enohp04 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of this. When I was in labor with one of my kids my contractions had really slowed down a bunch so my massage therapist gave me a massage and including on my feet. She massaged the pressure points and my contractions picked up almost immediately. I don't know if it would really induce labor if you're not already having contractions but it did help increase my contractions while in labor!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My friend is a massage therapist and her tried it on me when I was pregnant. It didn't work for me, but I have heard that it's possible.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yup, it's possible. My massage therapist avoided certain areas on my feet because of that. She was not allowed to do anything to me but she helped her sister through her labour doing that.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Look up Shiatsu or acupressure. There are points on the bottoms of your feet that work with your kidneys, lungs, stomach, just about everything. It's an ancient form of acupuncture.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes, it was 4 fingerwidths above the ankle, and OUCH!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it is true a foot massage can make you go into labor so unless it's close to your time I suggest no foot massage
    littleb2654

Answer by littleb2654 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011