What's the best way to find a new church?

I'm a registered Catholic that hasn't been practicing in several years. Both of my children were baptized in the Catholic church, but the whole reason why I don't practice anymore is because I disagree with a lot of the beliefs of the Catholic Church and don't like how much they repress women, so I am reluctant to expose them further to that faith. I'm interested in finding my faith again, but don't know what I need to do to switch faiths. Any insights are appreciated!

duskrider3740

Asked by duskrider3740 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say start by talking to friends. If you have any Christian, but non-Catholic, friends then they can probably suggest a few churches to you. That gives you a starting place. From there, you just have to visit around, sit in on some services, and check out some online resources on the teachings of various denominations. Finding a new church can be a harrowing experience, but is all worth it when you find the right "fit." Good luck!
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with asmcbride! Friends are the best way on finding a new church and/or faith. I am Christian and I grew up going to a a certain church. When I got married and moved I really had no idea there are so many different kinds of Christian churches! Our neighbor's family had the same views that we do so we started going to they're church.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You can start with Belief-o-matic, and then visit the faiths that appeal most to you

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This link shows differences in the branches of Christianity.  I would begin there to see what doctrine you feel like you agree with the most.  Then ask some friends for references of churches they've liked.  It might take some time :)

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/denominations_beliefs.htm

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Visit other churches. See if they are a good fit for you.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am in the process of finding another church but same faith. Center for Spiritual Living (once Religious Science) or Unity combines Christianity and metaphysical science. And, regardless of what the Catholics say, you will not go to Hell if you leave the church. (Just had to say that). In my church, you are what you think you are. If you want to change your life, change the way you think. it's positive thinking. No condemnation no judgement. Every face you see is the face of God. Check it out.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Visit other churches and sometimes this takes more than going just once.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011