If there is an age limit on when teenagers can get their license, shouldn't there be a age limit on when you should NOT have a license?

I don't mean to bash the old folks, but I really think they need to have an age limit on when they should stop driving. Because if your hearing is going and you're sight is fading, than you definitely should not be behind the wheel of a vehicle. Plus I'm kinda tired of being stuck behind one of them when they're going ten miles under the speed limit. It's irritating when us young folks, (The ones who still work) need to be somewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree for the most part. My grandfather has dementia and had his license revoked last year. The doctor felt that he wasn't safe to drive anymore so they sent him to take a driving test. The DMV felt the same after the test and took his license away.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• no, because a adult is a adult.
    granted there are people out there that should stop driving at a certain point, but I know some 30 year olds that are terrible drivers, and a woman that was a wonderful driver when she was 90.

it depends on the situation.
    I was told I drove like a little old lady when I was 17! so who knows.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• More like 20 miles under the speed limit around here. So annoying, especially if you REALLY have to go, and they just WON'T get out of your way. Then they literally STOP just to make that right-hand turn. WTF?

Some older folks CAN still drive normal at an elderly age, but some just need their license taken away!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The ones that are still capable of driving at least the speed limit, don't impede traffic, etc., can most certainly keep their license. Its the ones who cannot do that that should get their license taken away.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Having lived in south Florida I agree some old people REALLY should NOT be driving. Most accidents are caused by drivers under the age of 23 or drivers Over the age of 70. I think we should change the driving age to 18 myself. Even then if they drop out they dont get a licenses or it gets suspended. Car's should also come with a device to prevent cell phone usage while the car is running. Kids today ignore the safety warnings when driving and using their cell phones.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, but your hearing and sight should have to be well enough to drive. I see nothing wrong with having those tests performed regularly. It wouldn't be fair to make all people stop driving after a certain age, because not all older people are the same. Some are completely able to drive.

And really, so what if they go a little slow. It's better than the younger person flying past everyone, IMO.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No but you should have to take a drivers test every 2 yrs when you hit 65.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, but I agree with a drivers test yearly for those over 70. My mom is approaching 65 and she has no issues driving.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think there should be an upper age mandatory driving checks. If you're older and still a capable driver, I have no problem with you being on the road. However, if you have medical or cognitive issues that prevent you from safely navigating the roads, your license should be suspended. IDNT, this would apply to many drivers in other age groups. Dementia, strokes, MDD generally do NOT affect those in the 30- 60 age group.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In Ohio if elderly couldn't pass the eye test, they wold lose their license... I think there are SOME measures in place to ensure safety... In some states. I don't know about all... OP, have you checked with your state?
    When we lived in Arizona, I received my DL in 1998 and it didn't expire till 2033....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2011