How do i get my 3 year old to stop sucking her thumb?

I have tried everything to get my 3 year old to stop sucking her thumb but nothing is working. does anyone have any ideas to help stop this?

M0mmy0ftw0cacal

Asked by M0mmy0ftw0cacal at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried hot sauce? or that clear stuff from the drug store that you put on to get them to stop? It tastes really bad.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• She will stop eventually. My fiance sucked his thumb until he was 6. Then, he stopped. His mom tired everything as well. The more you focus on it as a bed thing she needs to stop, the more she will stress and the more she will want to suck it to relieve her tension.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• STOP trying to get her to stop. She will stop when SHE is ready. Thumb sucking is a comfort or coping skill for children.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Unlike a pacifier, the thumb is designed to fit in his mouth perfectly. There is a large blood vessel in the roof of the mouth, which when compressed reroutes blood flow to the brain, which if why sucking is so soothing. Unlike a pacifier, the thumb does not adversely affect the proper development of muscle groupings, it will not contribute to a speech impediment like a pacifier will.

As long as he stops before his adult teeth come in, there is no harm. He *will* eventually outgrow it, there really isn't a reason other than your comfort level or embarrassment to make him quit.
    My oldest son will be six in a few weeks, he recently quit on his own, about a month ago.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My dd is almost 13 and still sucks her thumb at night! She'll get over it when she's ready mama!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• how do know whats stressing her out? how do i comfort her ? I already have to sleep with her at night and i try to spend as much time with her as i can
    M0mmy0ftw0cacal

Comment by M0mmy0ftw0cacal (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm also trying to find a way to get my almost 5 yea to stop sucking her thumb
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 11:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Life does it. Same with adults. I tap my foot, twirl my hair a lot. Other people do other things as coping response. Some adults smoke, chew gum, bite their pencil...not much you can do. Be accepting and loving and sensitive to her needs. She may just be a stressed kid naturally. Just be patient and she will learn how to cope with it. Thumb sucking is very comforting to a kid. Like a kid with a special doll or blanket. Some kids/adults don't need a soother action or item, some do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks for the help yall :)
    M0mmy0ftw0cacal

Comment by M0mmy0ftw0cacal (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• THOSE OF YOU ALLOWING YOUR 5-6, 13 YO CHILDREN TO SUCK THEIR THUMB BECAUSE IT'S THEIR COPING MECHANISM NEED BOPPED UPSIDE THE HEAD! GET THAT THUMB OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS!

A girlfriend at our church has had to put tens of thousands of dollars work of constructive hardware in her 9yos mouth because she sucked her thumb. She has had 17 teeth pulled and will have dentures or veneers for the rest of her life due to the shape of her palette.

My rule with the binky, thumb, fist, is no more once they're walking! Ds dropped his binky at 5mo on his own, and wanted nothing to do with the bottles after 11 mos. But that's my rule due to Shenoah's mouth.

There is stuff like Bitrex (the stuff they put in nail polish remover) or BitterApple you can try. Hot sauce can be messy, as well as create stomach aches if your child is sensitive. At 3, you might be able to get away with the "if I see it.." method, where you can put hot sauce on it if
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011