Why don't they understand?

My husband and sister really annoy me sometimes. I have thyroid disease and a Vitamin B12 deficiancy, both which I take medication for. Both issues have severe fatigue as a side effect, which I definately experience. Plus I work full time, have 2 kids (7 yrs and 4 1/2 months) which I care for. I cook, clean, do laundry, bed/bath time, doctors appts and usually any other appt that needs to be gone to. My husband stays at home with the baby during the week and I stay home with both kids alone on the weekend while he works. I get flack from my husband and sister all the time for being so tired. Why don't they understand that I have my medical issues against me and sometimes I just can't help but be tired? They make me feel like a lazy failure. :(

Kari727

Asked by Kari727 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• They are ignorant? Why not teach them about your diease, the symptoms, etc? Get info from the doctor or off the internet. There are books they can read too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• :(
    I'm sorry you are feeling this way.Maybe they don't understand from lack of knowledge on your condition? Can your husband go to a dr. appt with you and maybe the dr. can explain things to him?
    But in the long run..you know what? You don't have to prove yourself or justify yourself to anyone.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• you can't make them understand, they need to come to that conclusion on their own. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS along with a 20month old and my husband used to tease me, not being mean- well not that i know of, but he would tease me about being tired all the time then he read up on both issues and a light bulb went off he doenst tease me anymore and helps to make sure that on weekends when hes home that I get a nap
    good luck, know that you are not alone
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Ignorant comes to mind. Print out and hand them info on your conditions, medications, and side effects. And then try to ignore them and their ignorance. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Print out the side effects from online about these issues and give it to them and explain to them this is because you are always giving me shit for being tired, and I want you to know the reason is because it is a genuine medical condition. Your comments about it to me all the time hurt my feelings because you refuse to understand so here is the medical proof of why im always tired.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I've tried time and time again to explain things to them, but they just don't seem to get it. I am so tired sometimes that I could literally sleep for 24 hours straight. But of course, what mom has that luxury? LOL. Thanks for your support everyone!
    XoXo
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If they refuse to go see your doctor about it, see if the doctor will call them to explain.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Have you told them that they make you feel like a lazy failure?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• we should start a special club! I've got fatigue problems too, and I get flak all the time. after about 7 years plus of dealing with it all, my husband is just now starting to understand. In his case he kept insisting that it couldn't be that bad. meaning that he couldn't understand why I couldn't just do this or that.

it wasn't until I left and stayed with a friend just so I could get some rest without hearing the griping that he finally started to get it.

Maybe you should consider looking into a support group for the two of you. But it's not their body so unless they have the conditions I don't think they will every truly understand.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We should! Medically Induced Fatiged Moms! lol
    Kari727

Comment by Kari727 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011