Preschool, Pre k then Kindergarten?

Or does it go where they go to preschool and that prepares them for Kindergarten? I signed our son up for Preschool that starts In Sept - he will turn 4 in Nov but We aren't going to put him in Kindergarten until he is5 turning 6 in Nov..
is there such thing as a Pre K after Preschool or do I hold off another year on Preschool -
I feel stupid to not know this but it was just brought up when I was telling my bosses I will have to leave to take him to and from preschool -

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• IT's semantics - Pre-K and Preschool are usually the same thing, however. It's just a different way to say it. In some places the terms are used for different programs.

Two years of preschool is not necessarily doing 2 years of the same thing. The school my kids went to, for example, had a "3 yr old" program and a "4 year old program." Doing two years there put children into two different programs. They learned different things, they had different projects, etc. The best thing is to ask the school your child will attend how they handle it as different places do different things.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am so glad you asked this . .. . I have the same question. My son hits 5 at the same time of the year your's does.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My dd goes to preschool this yr she started when she was 3 and then turned 4 in oct. Her teacher said she will just go to pre school again this yr and then in fall of 2012 she will start kindergarten.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I believe preschool and pre-k are the same thing. Kinda like grade school and elementary school are sometimes used interchangeably.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 11:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I live in Indiana and around here, it's 2 years of preschool. They don't need to be in either of them, but they expect so much from them, it's better to prepare them. My ds just turned 3 and he will be going to preschool in the fall...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Early childhood education is very good for socializing and a watchdog for early learning disablities.My daughter could have recieved early education but when she was little it was not open for all.
    Tootsie182

Answer by Tootsie182 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You could do two years of preschool, or many places are starting an "intermediate kindergarten" for kids that age wise are ready, but may need that extra year before they start kindergarten. Usually the classes are heavy on boys, but they're a great place for kids that just need a little extra time.

Answer by missanc at 12:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Pre K is just another name for preschool, in my town there is a 3 year old class and a 4 year old class - some kids go for the 4 year old class then go on to kindergarten while some kids do the 3 year old class, the 4 year old class, and then kindergarten. My oldest boys did both years of preschool, mostly because at the time I needed those 3 hours a day to get stuff done around the house and figured playing in a class doing projects and making friends was better than playing by themselves. My 6 year old DD didn't do preschool at all, she preferred traveling with her dad on his business trips and so kindergarten was her first school experience, she excelled with academics and social skills so skipping preschool wasn't a bad choice for her. My 5 year old DD is in preschool now, she isn't as outgoing as her sister so I wanted her to have that extra year to make friends.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think every town calls it something different. Your son might do 2 years of preschool. It doesn't matter what it is called, it'd just the name.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Hmmmm.. So if I put him in 2 years of preschool - wouldn't he be learning the exact same things in both years?? I Do have a call in to the school but I don't know how much it would benefit him to do 2 years of learning the exact same things - or would it?
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2011