How do you find a communicty centered church in a large city?

I was raised Catholic but I'm more Protestant in my beliefs. There are lots of churches around but how do you know they are active in the community.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Visit social of different church.I found the United methodist fit the best for me.As i was raised catholic
    Iraisedthem

Answer by Iraisedthem at 9:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Call the churches and ask what types of community projects & missions they support. Any good-willed church would be more than happy to answer your questions. You might be able to get a copy of their "Articles of Faith"/Statements of Belief so you can determine if the church holds the same beliefs as you. They might even have the info posted on their website, if available. Ask and ye shall receive...
    OldrWizrMom

Answer by OldrWizrMom at 11:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• see if they have a website and if so it should show what they focus on in the community

Answer by admckenzie at 12:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Yellow pages, see what churches have an ad that mentions child care or anything that stands out. Some have websites, too...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Look at websites and go church hopping! :)
    We did it when we were living in Tenn, some services we sat thru & some we walked right out the door as soon as we looked around! lol We finally went to Abba's House... an amazing church that wasnt our denomination, and we fell in love with it! We try to just look at what they stand for instead of the name on the building .
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I attend Calvary Chapel. There are Calvary's all over America. I've attended very small churches to very big churches. One that my husband and I started going to had 8000 members and I felt so small and not connected one bit. Then we moved and started going to Calvary, where my aunt goes. It has about 5000 members and two campuses, but I have never felt more welcome or invited anywhere before. I have friends in other cities that attend Calvary's and they feel the same way. It is a non-denominational Christian church. Here is a link to find one near you if you are interested: http://www.calvarychapel.com/?page=churches
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2008