How does cleaning house bring on labor?? lol

If you are on bed rest and meds how does not cleaning up the kitchen or taking out some trash keep you from going into labor? i don't really get it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They put women on bed rest so that they don't have the extra gravitational pull while standing.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• What they are trying to do is get you to rest so that you won't go into labor. You were put on bed rest for a reason so just take the time to rest b/c soon enough you won't get to rest much at ALL. Relax, take it easy, and let someone else do the cleaning and take out the trash.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It's called "nesting",and as the other replies said, it's a side effect, just getting everything ready before the little one comes. My mom told me, she cleaned their house top to bottom, including moving my Grandma's cedar chest the day before she had me. That was Friday,and I was born right after lunch on Saturday. Hoping for the best for you and your new arrival!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The idea of cleaning house to bring on labor goes back to when women would get down on all fours and scrub the floor. Being on all fours gets your pelvis and hips and baby all into a good position for labor. It may not "bring it on" but it sets the stage.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it pushes the baby down to start yoour contrations
    mariababy2011

Answer by mariababy2011 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You are funny! It has nothing to do with bringing on labor, it is a side effect of labor. Before you go into labor you feel like cleaning. It doesn't cause labor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't see how resting prolongs labor either......i'm obeying the doc i just don't get it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i was on bed rest for 2 months and every day was heck bc i wanted to clean house.... i even had my sister bring clothes on the bed just so i could do something, but its nesting, and htey are right the extra g-pull will move the baby down., get all the rest you can before the lil one gets here bc itll be years before you get a real good nights sleep in ...unless they go to grandmas house
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Do you feel like cleaning? I think some of you may have jumped the whole nesting thing here. She wants to know how NOT cleaning can keep you from going into labor. If the doc put you on bed rest and meds, they may be worried you will go into labor early. You didnt say how far along you are?
    tlvalmom

Answer by tlvalmom at 3:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011