Do I have the right to be a little upset?

Yesterday was my dhs birthday, and I went all out. I made his favorite dinner, made a homemade 4 layer cake, decorated, the kids colored some birthday posters, and they also made him cards. Well I started dinner as soon as he text me he was off ( he always does) ten minutes before he was suppose to be home, he tells me he is just leaving, he works an hour away! I was upset because I was trying to all these nice things and surprise him, and he pretty much blows me off! So do I have the right to be upset or just leave it?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 12:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• OMG! That happens here all the time! I work on dinner, so it will be ready when he gets home, and then . . . no show. I call and he has "just left work". It drives me mad.

I started leaving the dinner on the table. Ready at the time he told me he would be home. If he is later than he said he would be, the plate is still there, cold. I tell him, "Oh, I made you dinner. It has been sitting for a while because you told me you would be here sooner, but you can reheat it in the microwave."

After a few nights of eating reheated food alone, he got ALOT better about giving me a REAL time of when to expect him.

Do I sound awful?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Just leave it. Give it to him for his birthday. (forgiveness)
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 12:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Seems petty to be upset. Choose your arguments carefully or every little slight will tick you off.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Just be glad your husband is even home for dinner.

My husband works swing shift, so he's never home for dinner (except, of course, on the weekends, and the days he actually gets off of work).

But yeah, if my hub did work a "normal" shift and was able to be home for dinner...and he did that to me...he'd probably come home to all the doors locked. "Oh, you said you were going to be home at x time. Well, I lock the doors at y time. You should really be home before the doors get locked."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Let it go. It probably could not be helped.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Lol @imagination... that's the same thing I do!!

I would be a little hurt. I know its his bday n all, but that's no excuse, he could have called you sooner to let you know he'd be a lil late...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would let it go. My husband does that to me all the time, but it's not his fault. He works as a service writer in an auto repair shop, and sometimes when he's about to leave, the opportunity to write another ticket and make a little extra cash comes up. I would be more upset if he didn't take the chance to make some more money than us lose out and him be home for dinner on time.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• How was that blowing you off? Maybe he just got caught up at work??
    Anonymous

• I think some of the answerers are being too hard on you.

Guys . . . she is not saying that she is holding a grudge . . . but, someimtes it sucks when you have been working really hard for someone, they tell you when to expect them, decide to do something else, and do not call you to tell you "Hey, I'm gonna be an hour late."

It is just frustrating . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I should clarify that I'm no longer upset. I was pretty upset last night and hurt because this isn't a one time thing. Also, he told me he stopped by some store to get a part for his car. so it wasnt like he had to stay late to get some more work done...
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011