Is it just me? or does it seem somewhat unreasonable...

...to be expected to fully pay your bills & feed your family, if you aren't receiving a paycheck?

(military mom)

would it make sense to put everything on hold (debt collectors/bills) knowing people aren't getting paid?

at the same time i understand someone has to pay for utilities to keep them working. someone has to get paid for the food etc. but idk. i'm in a bit of a fix. idk what to do. i'm pretty angry. husbands at war with kids to feed.

did they even come to an agreement? or will it shutdown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't know how all this is going to work. we have rent, car payments, phone bill and several others due on the 1st that we normally pay.. how do we choose who to pay and who not to pay?! this sucks!
    Anonymous

• will i be forced to go to soup kitchens if this goes on? it's either that or lose our home =(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think it is EXTREMELY sad that they are even thinking about putting a stop to military paychecks while Congress is still getting paid. How dumb! I really hope everything works out for you. *hugs*
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sorry it is happening. I haven't heard any updates about an agreement yet, but there is still time. And if it is any consolation, I live in Michigan, where our state government has become quite a mockery over shutdowns when they can't agree to a budget, and it has never lasted long...i.e. couple days. Hopefully this will be short lived too, if it even comes down to it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The house has passed a bill that will allow a one week extension and fund military until September. The sad thing is, bill collectors etc dont care that we arent getting paid on time. There are resources for military families however.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I hope that doesn't happen.  I think they should put a stop to all politician paychecks and leave the military folks alone.  That is just wrong.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i'm just so angry at this whole situation. they shouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing what they're doing to millions of families.
    we have spouses fighting to protect this country and the government just let's them lose everything. while they get to go home with what seems like no care in the world.

side note: i'm not trying to turn this into a political debate (e.g. who's to blame repubs or demos?). i think they're BOTH at fault here. it shouldn't be this hard to make a fkng budget for grown men (and women) to agree on. now because of them i won't even have a budget to work with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i think politicians & etc should try living of the basic wage the rest of this country does. maybe then we would have more money to go towards the budget fix. (but i bet they wouldn't be able to survive)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yup, they need to be given what the military is given for pay. Make them see what its like living day to day, not being able to afford that luxury that would be nice, but not needed. Having to turn to OTHER govt agencies because you aren't paid enough to cover basic cost of milk, bread, cereal, etc.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am saddened by this. Although I don't have any family members in the military, I do have friends with families there.

They are fighting for our freedom and we repay them by doing this??

Horrible!!! I think there should be other things cut instead!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011