How do I avoid cockroaches?

My mom (who lives with us) found a roach outside on Sunday. We had sprayers come out the next day. We asked them why we have roaches and they said "This is the desert. It happens."  We aren't nasty. In fact, my mom and husband are always complaining that I clean TOO much. Since spraying, we've seen 3 more at night, all in the backyard. I'm so disgusted. I'm glad that they haven't been found in the house yet and we've scheduled the sprayers every 2 weeks for 3 months. If it is something that "just happens in the desert" then besides obsessively cleaning, what else can I do to make sure they stay away?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• roaches are everywhere & yes, they do live in the desert too. Roaches can live outside your home & you'll never know. I'm sure there is no specific reason why they're there. I'm sure it's not your fault. They are scavengers & will eat anything, even dead bugs around your home. The fact that you saw a roach outside, means nothing. It was probably just a roach outside.

You should be glad you don't live here in the South, where palmetto bugs (HUGE American roaches) are rampant & have popped up inside & outside about every home there is down here. Palmetto bugs are everywhere here in GA, even in the fancy super clean houses. Good thing about those fella's though, they aren't as hard to get rid of as the German cockroach (the little guys) those ones are hard to get rid of once there is an infestation.

I would not have called the exterminator, we all know there are bugs outside. Only if they were inside would i have called...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it depends.. if you keep the place clean and spray for bugs on a normal bases you should be okay personally. but make sure they aren't "water bugs" which look a ton like their cousin. Just keep clean and keep an eye out for the things.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Im in the deep south and they DO live outdoors everywhere. It's pretty normal believe it or not. All you can do is not give them reason to come inside. Dont keep food on the counters and empty the garbage before it's full and put the cans away from the house if you know they are outside. Thats probably whats attracting them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• There's no way to avoid bugs outside - you can't exterminate the world! lol As long as you keep things relatively clean and spray the perimeter, that should keep them out of the house.

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Roaches can be found almost anywhere. Some stuff they are attracted to are food, water, and cardboard for laying eggs.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The best way to keep them from getting inside is to not have a food or water source for them. If there's no food to eat and no water to drink, they don't have a way to get a colony established.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• sometimes there's not much you can do. We find an occasional cockroach inside our house...yuck! they are nasty and dirty! The most you can do is keep thing clean and uncluttered.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• There really isn't a lot you can do. They're persistent creatures. They're also attracted the the glue used to install linoleum tiles.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I hadn't thought about palmetto bugs in years. They were so awful when we were stationed in Augusta. They apparently can't cross state lines, cuz we don't have them in Tn.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011