Is there an easy way to clean a waffle iron?!

Yesterday I made myself a waffle..or attempted to anyway, I'm broke and it was the only thing left to eat, but I didn't have any butter or cooking oil, so yeah, silly me, I'm thinking.. It's Teflon, nothing sticks to Teflon, right? As you may have already ascertained, I'm not very bright.. Now I'm stuck with a big mess, can't immerse the thing in water and have been scraping the damn thing with a knife.. I'm about to just throw it in the trash! Suggestions anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• pour some water (not much) in it and close it for a few minutes to let the inside soak.. it should just rub off after
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No more knife!!!! This exact scenario happened back in my working days with a colleague. The knife scratched the waffle iron all up and rendered it pretty useless afterwards. (We all - including her - got a good laugh out of her efforts though). At work, we thought that maybe, if she had heated it up a little to loosen the batter that was baked on a little, and then wiped it carefully with an old wet rag that it could have come off. Be careful not to burn yourself though. Not sure if this will work - maybe others will have better suggestions. But, no more knife! Ah, this is bringing back memories. If you happen to have any Mr. Clean Magic Erasers around - they may help also?
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 12:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It comes off when it's hot allot easier than cool or dry. You just heat it up and use a wooden utensil to scrape it off. We all make mistakes like this. Dont beat yourself up over it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think they aren't supposed to be "washed" but rather wiped clean.
    They are supposed to be "seasoned" or oiled up and then food won't stick...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Get it warm and wipe with a wet sponge
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• doulala - She said she didn't have any oil.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2011