Sorry, another "extreme couponing" question....lol In light of all the negativity the show on TLC is getting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/tlcs-extreme-couponing-little-piggies-go-to-market-and-clean-up-on-aisle-5/2011/04/04/AFqJp9kC_story.html

......................"But my real beef, which I’m selling for half-off today, is that the subjects of “Extreme Couponing” are never seen stopping at a food bank on the way home to share some of their largess — except once, in the original “Extreme Couponing” special.

Everyone else on the show selfishly stores it away in hyper-organized garages, basements and spare closets — where all the labels must face a certain way, ordered by expiration date, before Mommy can sit down, relax, and clip and file still more coupons. “In a zombie apocalypse, we’d be fine for two years,” chuckles the overweight boyfriend of an extreme couponer in St. Louis, after he counts up 50 bags of snack chips.

When asked about this, a TLC publicist said future episodes might try to leaven the show with charitable impulses. The Texas mother of seven, the publicist noted, recently organized a shipment of care packages to Japan’s earthquake disaster victims.

Care packages of what? (Febreze? Apple Jacks?) The last thing “Extreme Couponing” exhibits is a sense of caring — to say nothing of sharing."................

QUESTION: So, if the people who do "extreme couponing" were "normal" and paid full price for everything they are getting with coupons, would they still be selfish if they were stockpiling it for their own use?......

Does it mean people that win the lottery or gamble and get huge payouts are selfish if they keep the money for a rainy day and not give it away to people?

It seems a little like story about the chicken who did all the work and everyone wants to eat the bread in the end....

What do you think?

**************I'm all for giving to charity, and I'm actually learning how to do all this, and I WOULD SHARE what I saved on, but why judge others who choose not to?*******************

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• "Renee, by law people on food stamps cannot share with anyone that doesn't live within their own home."

What a shame. $500 a month is an awful lot. Regardless, just because these people are being smart and saving money where they can, does not mean they have to donate more than the "average person". Donating to those in need is a wonderful thing and we donate as much as we can when we can. I just don't think so many people should be quick to judge. I wonder how much the ones complaining about it are donating?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think TLC is well aware of how to "stir the pot" as it were so that they have a good program. Didn't they do just that with Jon and Kate? Look where that led them~ It just makes for good entertainment to show ppl in a certain light. Who knows what they do on their own time?? I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt that the couponers shown are charitable~ but who knows? And really who cares... coupons are for using~ I really don't care whether some nitwit is cutting coupons 6 hrs a day to have a free shopping trip... Not going to stop me from using coupons or rev up my use of them:/
    Leeshamak

Answer by Leeshamak at 12:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The difference between your lottery example and extreme couponing/hoarding is money doesn't expire. I'm guessing and several others have said that the grocery items can/do expire and then they are often tossed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• "So, if the people who do "extreme couponing" were "normal" and paid full price for everything they are getting with coupons, would they still be selfish if they were stockpiling it for their own use?......"

I stockpile...but when my stockpile becomes too much I share. We aren't well off, we scrape by. We do what we have to do to survive. I don't think it's fair for people to say that since they got all their items for free, that they need to share it. What about those who get $500 in free food each month from the government? They don't share!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I was a little bothered by it the other night. I'm all for having a stock pile of things, especially when you'll use it. But...In one of the episodes, the lady bought 60+ bottles of mustard, and her husband says "I don't even like mustard." So, why buy all that, just because you have a coupon? I'm all for using coupons, and getting the best bang for your buck, but seriously...You should try and donate it. Well, that's what I would do anyway. I know there are people who will just keep it, and if that's what works for their families, then so be it. For me though, I would be donating. There are so many places out there who could use the help. There are people out there who could use the food too. That's just me though :)
    My_Guys_Rule

Answer by My_Guys_Rule at 2:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You end up buying that stuff anyways, they just buy it in one large purchase. I don't see them being greedy. They are just organized and smart.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Renee, by law people on food stamps cannot share with anyone that doesn't live within their own home.

I know that another one of the extreme couponers did donate to the efforts in Japan.

People do rotate the foods they buy. Mustard isn't just used as a condiment, it can be used in many recipes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• About the sharing thing as well, coupons aren't just for people that have money. One lady dumpster dived for hers....who's to say the homeless couldn't do that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011