How do u make your toddler mind? PLEASE HELP ME

I have tried time out, spatting hands, explaining, trying him to get somethin else, and of course NO NO is my all time word.

My son is 15 months ol and wil not isten no matter what!! I'm getting to the poimt where i want to tear his little butt up!!! He knows right from wrong bc he gets in trouble for the same thing all the time!! He does the exact same thing that he knows hes not suppose to do! When I get up he runs so therefore i know he knows its wrong!!

But he is constantly going back and doing it like, pouring the dog food and water out, getting into the dishwasher, pullinh stuff out of drawers, and puling rugs up!!

What can i do????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age, it sounds like he is either curious about something or they make a sound that he really likes, etc. At that age, you will just have to keep an eye on him. It is a phase that all children go through. Have fun:)
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sorry to tell you but that is just what toddlers do. If it's reach he's gonna get into it. Just be consistant with what ever disapline you choose and with the rules. He's just trying to test his limits. I have a little boy too so I understand how frustrating it can be. If it gets where you feel like you are going to blow your stack just put him in his room with some toys and put the baby gate up. At least if he's in there he can't get into anything harmful.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• distraction! they go for the object and hand them something else or move them to another place. Baby gates, offer him a solution to grabbing things he shouldn't be.. give him a rug in his room to flip around and a water bowl outside to play with. They are just amazed at the mess it causes.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Children at this age do things over and over. it is how they learn. They need constant supervision. Make him your big helper with all sorts of things like putting stuff in the dishwasher, using a swiffer, etc. Also spend quality time with him and praise him when he does things right. They thrive on praise and positive attention at this age. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Oh mama . . . I know it is hard. AT that age, kids have little self-control and ALOT of curiosity. So, they will do that, and punishment will not do anything because their little brains don't understand.

Put up more gates. Keep the dog food bowl in a different place. Keep everything dangerous away from the baby. Put a lock on the dishwasher, or a gate up at the entrance, so your honey can't get in.

Don't feel like it is disobedience . . . your baby is not old enough to even "comprehend" that. It will be a few years yet until the self-control kicks in.

We all know how stressfull that age is. Try to take a deep breath and be kind to yourself. You will just need to safeguard the house and wait . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You have to keep it from him. Avoid the mess although he knows kids, we must be consistant with what we say and do...

Toddlers tend to keep making the same mistakes over with a lot of patience and some time. Everything will fall into place. Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Honey, at 15 months old "knowing" something is wrong and ignoring the urge to do it are two different things. Children that age lack the impulse control to ignore the temptation even if they know it's on the 'no' list. They don't necessarily tie your repeated no, no, no, no....no...no. . . to "Must resist temptation." They see. They impulse says GO! and the part of the brain that would put on the breaks just isn't mature enough yet to effectively do so. All you can do is remain consistent. If he goes for the bowl, you say "No. No dog food." Then redirect. Move him to something that *is* ok to do. Baby gate the kitchen off limits (or whatever other areas are an issue for you) unless you're there to supervise. It's also possible, by the way, that he doesn't *know* he's wrong. He knows that when you get up from your seat with "that look" or that "exhale" or that "verbiage" it means trouble. ;)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• he's too young to quite understand that what he's doing is wrong. my 17 month old son does the same thing. he's very curious. so he will get into everything. i have to sternly tell him no if it's something that could hurt him like cords or if he's smacking on the tv. sometimes he listens sometimes he doesn't. i just try to keep him entertained so he doesn't want to get into things he isn't suppose to.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son did the same things. He knew it would get him into trouble, but I just had to be patient with him. He only seemed to learn when he found a new thing to destroy. Unfortunately it's just an age thing. Just keep doing what you're doing and be consistent. We did time out in my son's crib, that was for both of us. I needed him to be in a place he couldn't move from and he needed to know there was a consequence for his actions. We did that every time when it was something really bad or something that made me upset... or just if I had to clean up a lot and I knew it would be hard to do it if he was still free. Otherwise I tried to distract him before he messed things up. If I saw him walk into the kitchen, I followed him and tried to get him to come play with some toys. Anything new is good too like banging on plastic bowls from the kitchen with wood or plastic spoons. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• no a child this age doesn't know right form wrong.. if you see yourself getting angry please put yourself in a time-out until you calm down.
    I would child proof the house keeping stuff like the dog food where he can't get it... at this age distraction is a good method no you can't do this but you can do this, be consistent tell him no in a firm voice when he does something he shouldn't, try 1 min time-out when nothing else is working.. also point out when he does something good, or is being good don't just point out the bad stuff.. he is still in the baby stage & needs consistent supervision.. oddly when he grows out of his stage you will probably miss it
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011