How do you keep onions fresh?

I am getting tired of throwing good onions that I know can last longer away.

Lynnda

Asked by Lynnda at 1:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I keep mine in the crisper drawer in the refidgerator..they seem to last a pretty long time in there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Mine are kept in the fridge. They last longer that way.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I hang mine up in a wire basket. They last FOREVER. Well, not really, but a good long time! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In the fridge. And keeping them cold will help prevent your eyes from watering as much when you cut them.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Actually, you shouldn't store onions in the fridge, the humid environment promotes decay. Onions should be stored in a cool, dark place, preferably in a basket so they can breathe.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• agree with the NO fridge.
    I store mine in cool, dark, dry place.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I leave them in the mesh bag I buy them in, hanging from a nail in the rafters of my basement. At least I try to always keep them there - if I leave them in the bag on my kitchen floor the last 1 or 2 go bad, but I don't always remember to hang them.
    Anonymous

• I have them in my vegetable bowl...I keep my garlic, onions, peppers and tomatoes in it. My onions last for weeks. I always make sure to give my onions a good squeeze when I buy them..if they give in the slightest way...I put them back. I only buy super hard onions and tomatoes...don't want ones that are already on their way out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks guys, I have been buying the onions that are precut and that is getting too expensive and when I do put the precut onions in the fridge it doesnt last long, and then I have to keep going to the store to buy more.
    Lynnda

Comment by Lynnda (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In a handing basket
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011