My breast milk supply

I need advice I have gone to mommy and me LC for help and have done everything they have told me to do I have tried it all and still my supply is the same and then I had another LC tell me I will never get my supply up the my son is to old now that ill never catch up to what he needs to exclusively breast feed is this true? Has anyone had the same problem as me? And if so what did you do to get it up I'm desperate for help thank you!

mommy2bee12-27

Asked by mommy2bee12-27 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I need more information. What makes you think your supply is low? Are you EBF? Are you supplementing, and if so, with what and how often? How old is baby? What problems are you having?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try the breastfeeding group here for support too. There are moms who can not provide enough milk but can nurse and bottle feed. My niece would nurse the baby and then offer a botle. She didn't have much milk but gave him what she could for a year.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I successfully breastfed my first 4 kids each until at least 11 months. With my 5th, I just couldn't get/keep my supply where it needed to be. There was nothing I could do and I tried anything and everything I had ever heard of and/or the dr recommended. It just wasn't enough and we ended up going to formula when she was 6 months old. Sometimes it just doesn't work and formula is the next best thing.

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I really hope to be able to help you, really, give me ALL the information, the more I know, the more I can help :) I don't think that you will NOT be able to EBF. It's supply and demand, and unless you have some medical condition, I don't see why you won't be able to build a full supply. It might take some work, but it's probably possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had gotten too dependent on formula and was losing my supply. My ds is 6mo and huge, with lots of demand for feedings as he has gone through growth spurts. I didn't want to give up on breastfeeding, so what I have done to boost my supply and get back to nursing is powerpump. I heard about this at another forum, and it does take dedication and sacrifice for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, but then everything was great. Every 1-2 hours, pump each breast for ten minutes and repeat. So you do ten minutes on one side, ten on the other, then switch back and repeat this process, every hour is better. If you only get a little at first or nothing, that's ok just keep doing it.
    As your body recognizes the new demand for production, it will start to keep up. When you begine to produce consistently, you can back off the powerpumping.
    That's my two cents, hope that helps.
    jennysama

Answer by jennysama at 1:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We need to know the answers to the questions Krysta asked. Im positive you can continue. But we need more info to be able to help you.
    Ashley0709

Answer by Ashley0709 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sorry its taking me so long I'm new to cafe mom and am still figuring everything out on my phone but the reason I know I'm producing so little is from going to the LC she ways him before I feed then after and sees how much he got and he only ever gets one oz and yes I'm supplementing (not by my choice) but the LC and my sons doc said I needed to cause he wasn't gaining enough and wasn't goingto the bathroom enough but I'm supplementing at the breast for stimulation and only after he has emptied the breast first. But I am as jennysama calls it power pumping and taking all the vitamins/herbs that promote production and taking dompridome as prescribed
    By my doc to help me produce and still almost no change in my supply.
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• How are diapers? When EBFing, you are looking to change 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period. If you are, then your supply is fine. How old is baby? Great, that you're doing the supplements AT breast. Take whatever you pump, and use that as a supplement before the formula. How much, and how often are you supplementing? How long have you been supplementing? Are you nursing on demand? Can you give me a history of all his weights? Weighing before and after nursing can be helpful, but I believe that it's supposed to be done over a period of a few feedings, and then averaged. The LC that you are seeing, is she an IBCLC, or just an LC? Have you been in touch with LLL? If not, you should definitely get in touch, and get to their meetings if possible. They can help you hands on and free of charge. I have more questions, I'm sure, but can't think of them off the top of my head. Let me see your response to what I've asked first
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Mu son is 5 weeks old he has 4 diapers a day and poops about every 3 days. I'm having my son eat every two hours if he isn't crying to eat but if he wants to eat before the two hours I feed him on demand and every hour in between I was supplementing him when he was still wanting more cause I wanted to supplement as little as I could cause I wanted my supply to come in. I'm sorry but I don't know what a IBCLC is. And yes I have emailed them but there are none in my area the closest is an hour away from me and the only different thing the LLL that emailed me told me from my LC was instead of giving a binky if I was is to give him the breast instead of the binky which I wasn't giving him so I'm just at a loss.
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Also his weight at birth was 7 3 and he still hasn't gottin back up to that after loosing weight he just kind of stays at 6 15 since last wednesday.
    mommy2bee12-27

Comment by mommy2bee12-27 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011