My daughter is 15 and going to be the death of me, what do I do?????

Ok, she is driving me completely insane. I have done and will continue to do everything to make things better, one minute she is like yes we will work on it around the therapist and everyone else, but once we are alone.

She says, she hates her life, she wishes she was never born, she don't need a therapist, she will be a bum when she gets older, she starts trying to argue with me for nothing. Like feeling sorry for her self. Yes she has adhd and depression.

She was looked after for 2 weeks, and her behaivor was wonderful there. So now what do I do, we are back to the egg shell home again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds to me like little miss takes her life for granted. You need to give her a good dose of reality. Strip that child down to nothing. Take her phone, take her make up, take her computer, ipod, make her pick out 7 outfits to wear and bag up the rest. Take the door to her bedroom. All these things you give her are a privilege. They aren't owed to her. Maybe once she see how good she used to have it and how much she does have that YOU give her, she'll be change her attitude towards her mom.

When she goes a full week of being good, let her choose what she gets back. If she is bad again, take it straight back. I have seen this done in my own family and it worked wonders for my 16 year old cousin. That child is good as gold now......
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she is trying to punish you for something. What is she mad about? When she says she hates her life, ask her for specifics. If she gives you none, start asking her if she hates that she has a roof over her head, food to eat, clothes to wear. Then keep going down the list of all the possibilities, throwing in some things that only you could know about. I also agree that it might be good to take away most of her creature comforts just to give her an idea of how a bum really lives.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sorry but it seems like typical teen girl drama to me. My daughter will be 15 next month and we go through the same things *hugs*
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 2:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Maybe she isn't just depressed and ADHD. Maybe she is bipolar?? Just a thought. If you're already in with the therapist I would just mention the idea. There are a lot of great resources for it if she is, but it wouldn't hurt to check into it. Taking away her rights may not be the way to go. If she is already feeling threatened that will just make her retreat more and you will lose her completely. You need to find out what she is missing and see if you can help her to fill that void. Maybe she needs more attention, maybe she needs more space.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My cousin pulled this junk with my Aunt. She wound up in a home for girls so that she could learn to work on her issues and wasnt allowed home until she came to realization she needed help and was getting it. It was hard for her but she realized it doesnt pay to lie to counselors and push her mom over the edge.
    tlvalmom

Answer by tlvalmom at 4:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011