This is probably a stupid question...

Okay so someone told me that cinnamon can help with heartburn. So i tried it and surprisingly it does, but i told my grandma this and she says not to do it because it can cause labor. I am only 35 weeks so i do not want to go into labor and i have not heard of this before. Is she just being crazy or is there really some truth behind her madness.

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 1:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I knew it helped with heartburn but never heard of the labor so I googled it. It does say to boil cinamon sticks and make a tea - no proof of causing labor but will help you relax. Maybe just don't use too much of it?
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 1:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I've never heard of it causing labor.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't think that is true. I ate alot of cinnamon when I was pregnant and still went 8 days late!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't think it can hurt you, but just to be safe, call your doc.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 2:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Cinnamon as an essential oil is best avoided in pregnancy as it could be abortifacient. High dosage could cause convulsions."

Essential oils are a different thing all together and when they are talking about high dosage, they mean like a tablespoon or something. If you are taking the herb, it's fine. Cinnamon is used all over the world by many on a daily basis. There are many essential oils that can be toxic if taken improperly.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would also advise against cinnamon supplements and just stick with the spice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011