Our 4 month old German Shepherd won't stop jumping on us.

Whenever we take her out of her cage, like in the morning or if we have to run out and come home, she jumps and jumps on us and now that she's so big, it's painful for the kids and is irritating if you are dressed up. How do we get her to stop?

marihand

Asked by marihand at 1:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pets

• knee up (don't kick her) and turn away from her saying BAD or NO. fold arms so she will realize she is not gettting your attention til she sits down
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 1:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We took an obedience class at PetSmart with our puppy. I took the class with my kids. It was really great. They told us how to deal with that: I think you never ever pet her when she jumps up. You say "No, down!" when she gets down you say good dog and pet her. Just never give her positive attention when she does it. You should look into the class, it helped us a lot.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Do not knee her! When you do this you are still giving the dog what it wants attention it does not matter that it is negative you touched them. When you let her out of the crate or come home. Be calm, don't talk to her, make eye contact or touch her. If she jumps do not react just turn your back.. When all 4 feet are on the floor you can pet her but continue to be calm. Another thing you can do is teach her to sit when she approaches people. You can do this by luring her to you keeping the treat low so she is not tempted to jump and ask her to sit as she is approaching you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Mine does the ssame thing. I get all scratched up.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't let her out of the crate until she is calm. Sitting and just waiting. When you let her out give her the sit command. Also long nice walks will he lp her energy. At heel is best. Use her brain.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Also I would cross my arms and turn around ignore her until she is off or sitting what ever behavior she gives you teh best.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Turn your back to her when she does this and keep doing it until she calms down and when she stops yo praise and give her a treat.

Answer by older at 9:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011