How much is too much?

My daughter is turning 16 this coming January and I have already started thinking about what type of party to throw for her. Before I give my party idea, I must share a little history for my rationale.

I had my daughter a month after I turned 16 and many believed I would be another teen pregnancy statistic of failure and welfare. The two of us have been through a lot over the years and she has been my strength and inspiration to be where I am today.

To celebrate how far along we have both come over these last 16 years and to recognize what a special and amazing daughter I have I want to throw a birthday she will remember. I must also say that normally I do not go over the top and prefer small intimate gatherings but for this I want to throw a bash. My initial thought was to rent a space to have a big dance with a DJ, let her and her closest friends arrive in some special fashion, have my family prepare a big meal.....

How much is too much?

mrs_dybdahl

Asked by mrs_dybdahl at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Your idea sounds perfect. Those Super Sweet Sixteen parties that cost several hundred thousand dollars is too much...
    Anonymous

• Something really fun . .. .

Do a Grammy inspired party. Tell everyone to come very dressed up. Get a huge white sheet and spray paint emblems on it . . to resemble the backsplash on the red carpet. Have everyone pose for pics on the red carpet. Then, let them dance and enjoy each other.

Have fun!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't think anything is too much when your celebrating the birth of your child. Even 16 years later. I just through my sister a clean candy rave for her 18th birthday, tons of glow sticks, glow necklaces, bracelets, candy, loud music, strobe lights, black lights.... She said people are still talking about what an awesome party she had, and it was last weekend.

I'd include her in the planning. Ask her what she wants, the theme, food.... It will make it that much more special since you are planning it together!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Threw^
    BabyBugsmama

• First...good for you and your daughter. I love the reason you want to make this event such a big deal, love it.
    I think your idea is lovely. I've been to bat mitzvahs that were like weddings; I see no reason why you shouldn't splurge as much as you can. Just don't buy her an SUV :D
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Go all out Momma! Sweet 16 is a big deal, and it sounds like this party is a little bit for you, too :)
    Just don't completely break the bank
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 2:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This sounds great. Good for you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I like your original idea. Maybe have family and close friends help (if they offer to help that is); go for IT! Have fun!

Be sure to have someone take video and someone to take pictures. That w ay you do not miss out on anything.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thank you for the responses. I absolutely love the advise and ideas provided to me! And yes, this is kind of a celebration for me as well because I have gotten her this far in life!!! :)
    mrs_dybdahl

Comment by mrs_dybdahl (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I took the advise to involve my daughter. She loved the idea Grammy theme party. We discussed having the red carpet, having a few awards, DJ, dance off, etc....
    mrs_dybdahl

Comment by mrs_dybdahl (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011