Is it nesacery to get your dog the DHLPP shot?

We normally get the rabies and dhlpp but they are wanting to give him an exam if he gets the dhlpp shot and we cant afford all that right now. They did say that the only required vaccine for dogs is the rabies shot so would that be ok just to get that this yr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Depending on how old your dog is, and how many shots they have gotten in the past, I would suggest doing one at a time. This way, if either cause an allergic reaction, you'll know which one is causing it. Also, it will give you time to save for the tests before the distemper Shot.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I depends on the area you live in, the age of your dog, how much contact your dog comes in contact with other animals. Those vaccines are important but if your dog has had several over the years he should be ok. But honestly I find it odd that the vet won't check the dog out before giving the rabies. My vet charges an exam fee regardless of the shot the animal gets. It is also a cheaper exam fee compaired to coming in for something else like maybe allergies.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Most vets charge a fee for the yearly physical on the dog, which most vets require with any vaccines, even the rabies as Kyliesmom pointed out.

The DHLPP is usually given as 1 combo shot. You can separate out the rabies and bordatella if you want to separate vaccines. Bordatella is optional for kennel cough.

This is what DHLPP has in it. Sometimes C is added for corona virus.

D-distemper
    H-hepatitis
    L-leptospirosis
    P-Parvovirus
    P-parainfluenza

Some vets omit the lepto (L) because it has been more controversial since some dogs appeared more reactive to that.

It is your decision on the vaccines.

You can request a blood titer to see if your dog will be protected if you are concerned about over vaccinating or vaccine reactions.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Coming from someone who worked at a vet clinic and volunteered at animal shelters for years... yes yes yes! Does your vet require it every 1 year or 3 years? That's kinda a debate between vets right now. I worked for one that required it every year and one that did it every 3. I would definitely get it if you ever take your dog in public. The risk of the dog picking up parvo is just way too high and if you can't afford the vaccine then you definitely wouldn't be able to afford to save your dog from parvo.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011