what can i feed a picky eater? need methods please

he hates everything (really) he only eats a handful of foods if that. i need a way to get him to try it. i have a method that i hate but its what the dr says to do but i really dont agree. because im forcing it in his mouth i feel so horrible and my son is crying and everything it is so frustrating does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Will he try new things if he can dip them? My dh has to put ketchup on EVERYTHING it sometimes grosses me out but I have gotten used to it. So maybe if he likes ketchup, ranch dip, bbq sauce... let him dip things that you wouldn't usually think to. Sometimes melting cheese on it makes everything better. I would not keep force feeding him, it could lead to eating disorders later. My ds went through phases when he was a toddler and preschooler where he would only eat 1 food for about a month at a time, it drove me crazy, but the Dr. said that as long as he was taking his vitamins he would be okay nutritionally, that his body would start craving what he needed.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Some kids will Eat anything if you put cheese sauce, ranch dressing or ketchup on it. Try and sauce to get him to eat.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• How old is he? It really makes a difference.
    And find a new doctor...any doctor that would tell you to force food into your child's mouth needs his head examined.
    You need to not make it an issue. Tell him he can have (insert favorite food here) if he tries a bite or two of (insert food you want him to try here). Give him dipping options, kids love to dip. Let him help you shop, prepare, etc for the foods you're planning your meals around. And above all, don't make it the focus of every day. If you do, you are asking for lifelong food issues down the road, believe me.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Honey, I'm sorry you are having trouble.
    As long as your baby is growing fine, you are fine. No child will ever starve himself to death.
    I'm against doing anything to force a child to put food in it's mouth. This gives them something to control when they have very little that they can. They can at this point make you do what they want.
    Just continue to prepare food as you normally do and put it in front of him, nonchalantly. If you can have him help make his own plate that might make him excited. Act like it is no big deal.
    Praise like crazy when he tries something. lots of positive reinforcement.
    Also, do find a new doctor. Yours need to have his license revoked.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If he's hungry enough, he'll eat. It's a means of controlling what you do. If he knows it upsets you so that he gets what he wants, then he is in control.

My youngest was a picky eater when she first came to us. In my house, you eat or you don't. (and I reserve the same plate the next meal.) She learned quickly to eat what was prepared. I'm no short order cook.

If he is actually starving himself instead of eating, then you need to find a different dr to rule out anything physical. And find a therapist to deal with the food phobia.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008