UPDATE!! My son has a rash - Peds are giving me all different advice....

It started as what one Ped told me was an allergic reaction to a med he was taking for a sinus infection, put him on another one, the rash got better but the sinus infection got worse,. went to another Ped who said it was NOT a reaction since it was only on his chest and not everywhere, he put him back on the Med, the rash came back, put him on another one, rash didn't go away - told me to put him on benadryl until the Medication was done, ok. did that - the rash started to go away after a week of being off meds.. but then came back - Went to the DR again who said it was his bodies way of fighting off illness and to try Zyrtec, so far its been 3 weeks and different oatmeal baths, lotions and NOTHING is working.. if you add up the co pays and medication and treatment, its about at $300 in 10 weeks now and still a terrible rash - what would you do?? 3 different Dr's and still not better??

* thanks to the Moms who shared my concern * I took him to the dermatologist and she didn't know either - she didn't do any tests just looked at it and felt it and said well.. it could be this type of condition that happens after a viral infection ( the sinus infection he had) which goes away by itself within 8 to 12 weeks but this doesn't look like that type of rash as all but..there is always an A typical version of it - or it could be eczema.. but the smaller spots and the fact its spreading isn't all that common and would be a coincidence that it happened after being Sick - but I want to treat it as Eczema- she gave me this cream to put on him that was SO strong and could thin his skin and if given too much or on too many areas of his chest, could affect his Endocrine system - Needless to say I did NOT give him that cream - instead, I stopped at Walgreens, bought olive oil and tea tree oil - made a mixture of that and within one use/night - its already 50% better OMG..!!!!I should have done something like this $400 ago

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Health

• It's so frustrating when doctors don't have a clue but give advice anyway. I was also given that cream for a rash and like you,,,I opted NOT TO USE IT. Glad you found something that works; would you give me the exact "recipe" for it? Thanks and glad your little person is getting better.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Also, if it is eczema, try some .5% hydrocortisone cream. Works wonders on my sons eczema. It's been a life saver. The dermatologist gave us steroid creams which I refused to use since my ds was 7 months old when we saw the dermatologist... Anyways, good luck! And if he does have eczema, limit his baths. My son gets one every 3 days unless he gets really dirty. Use lotions after every bath and when you put him in his jammies.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Wow! That is amazing. My daughter has excema. I'm going to try that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try %1 hydrocortisone ointment. I use this for ALL rashes and to heal my piercings and for inflammation.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks ladies - the first thing I actually tried to treat this rash was Hydrocortisone, and it did work on the nickel sized spot but then all these red spots started showing up around it and it stopped working - but it totally works on my girlfriends son's eczema too -
    Well the tea tree oil bottle is very small, I don't have it with me at the moment but I can try to give you a measurement the best I can anyway - the bottle was probably .5 Fl Oz for $10 very small - I put about 1/4 cup of oil and used about a tablespoon of tea tree to dilute it - it still smelled very strong but it didn't even sting the open rash spots my son usually cries about when I put lotion on him..I'm so happy...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Good!!!!!!!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son had the same thing happen, very random rashes showing up. Did a blood test and found out he's allergic to eggs!
    CamColtonsmommy

Answer by CamColtonsmommy at 2:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• CamColtonsmommy - how many times did he get that rash before they would test him?
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011