WHY IS COMMUNICATION WITH YOUR ADULT OR TEEN KID SO DIFFICULT?

sticking out tongueMy 20 year old makes me feel like I'm from another planet and communicating is a chore, especially since the craze of texting and FaceBook.   It's like LOL, WTF,  a sentence is less than three words and kids today call it communicatation?  HELLO!!  TALK TO THE HAND!!   He'd rather text than TALK.   I just purchased a Dictionary which helps me look up the words of letters they use- just to be in the know!  LOL! csjoy

csjoy1

Asked by csjoy1 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'm going through the same thing too with my 12yr. It's because they know every thing lol every one tells me it will go away i cant wait lol
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My 25 yr. old actually said something the other day that made me think that all those trying teen years were worth it. She said I had been right all along!! So hang in there. It does get better.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Because from the ages of 14 to 30 they think they know everything and believe that parents are idiots. Having been one of those myself. I can attest to how incredibly wise my mother became the older I got. As for the texting... I think as parents you take the responsibility of 'phone etiquette" on when you buy kids phones. By the time you're 20 you should know better. Just because "all the kids do it' doesn't make it right. I say jack him up and tell him something like "Excuse me, I'm your Mother please look at me when we are speaking and put the damn phone down"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Teens are always coming up w harder ways to level w them.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 2:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It is called the generation gap!

Answer by older at 5:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I really think computers & other gadgets are changing drastically how humans communicate... don't forget that this generation, the ones that are constantly using gadgets to communicate, is the FUTURE of the human race... It's a little scary if you ask me.. they are losing the ABILITY to communicate in an articulate manner, and in a world where so often communications between nations means the difference between war and peace we can't afford to lose that ability.
    PARENTS! Take away your children's cell phones before it's too late! (I am only half joking... I DO think parents should take a little more responsibility for how much time their children spend with devices.)
    Lorithehun

Answer by Lorithehun at 10:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my kids and i get along great oh yes we do have our moments but pay backs our bitch
    it took me long time getting where i am today
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011