What are the core beliefs of Lutherans?

I have been invited to attend services at a Lutheran church, but are not familar with their beliefs? I know they are Christian, but can someone fill me in please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• cont
    I don't know how much you know about Christians, or if you're one or not, but, assuming you don't know this, just remember it's not meant to be exclusionary or anything when they ask that only baptized Christians take communion with them. It's just that to Christians, communion is a very sacred thing - it represents the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, and taking it without accepting that sacrifice for ourselves and our sins is considered very disrespectful to what it's all about.

Again, I'm not saying you aren't a Christian or should or shouldn't take communion - I don't know, and it's not my place to judge you either way, I just thought I would share this to prevent you possibly having hurt feelings...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• One of my dearest friends is Lutheran. Read about what they believe here:

http://linetap.com/trinity/trinity2.htm
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Bethel - Lutheran Core Beliefs

core Lutheran beliefs:. 1) We are saved by God's awesome grace, not by our own works. 2) God's ultimate act of love for us is shown in the death and ...
    www.bethelportvilleny.org/index_files/BLCCoreBeliefs.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• The Lutheran Religion is based on the Catholic faith. Martin Luther nailed the 99 Thesis to the door of the Catholic church in the 1400s to separate from the Catholics. They are a little more liberal (allow divorce) and still drink beer & wine at many church events (like Oktoberfest). Babies are baptized at birth, tweens take their First Communion & teens go through Confirmation classes to become adults of the church.

There are 2 different "divisions" ELCA & Missouri Senate. I grew up in an ELCA Lutheran Church. I think Missouri Senate is a little more "traditional". They are very welcoming, friendly & accepting.

alliblue

Answer by alliblue at 7:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Do a Google search with this term...."core beliefs of Lutherans" You will Get MANY different belief's depending on tha ACTUAL church you are considering attending. Or call the church directly and ask the "pastor"
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I agree with alliblue... I was raised Missouri Synod... they are more German strict and close to Catholic... traditions... everyone was always welcomed to attend any service... the doors were always open...Just becareful...LOL... some of the Missouri Synod services are done in German... most early services or Saturday night ones...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• They don't believe in full submersion baptisms and ask that if you are not baptised, you don't take part in communion.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It depends on what Synod you are attending. My husband is Lutheran, I'm not. In our experience, Missouri Synod churches practice what's known as "closed communion". Meaning, if you are not Missouri Synod, then you aren't really welcome to take communion with them. However, you can talk to the Pastor beforehand, and they can choose to serve communion to you. (How my husband was raised.) If you go to the ELCA (or Evangelical Lutheran Church of America), then they generally practice "open communion", meaning as long as you are a baptized Christian, you are welcome to commune with them. (when we've attended Lutheran churches as a married couple, that's where we've gone. We move a lot, so we change churches frequently).
    cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i just asked someone this! She goes to a church in Pennsylvania that I don't know much about. She told me to go to this one called The Redeemer. I felt very much like I was in a Catholic church (I did a term paper on the Catholic church so I had gone to two for some research). The people were super nice and helpful.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2008