Here is a question stemming from another question from someone else.

If a parent decides that they want to homeschool their children, do you think they should be educated enough to teach their children; especially spelling and grammar, as this poster did not seem to have much education in?

I mean, how good of an education would a child get, if this was the case?

I would be very upset if I sent my child to school, and the teacher that was teaching them, didn't know what they were actually teaching!!

allen.moriahd

Asked by allen.moriahd at 2:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• If it's the post I'm thinking of, then you probably know my answer :) Yes, I think the parent should have basic skills in order to homeschool. I'm all for homeschooling, but if one isn't capable of even spelling simple words, how will they be able to teach their child? Even if there are books on subjects, how does it benefit a child for someone to regurgitate information? If they cannot explain how or why something is done, how is the child going to learn?
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree! A parent should have to be qualified by the teaching board to home school.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Humm usually books come for home schooling so all the mother would have to do is follow directions and see directly if it's right or wrong
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I went to internethomeschool.com for the very brief period I was homeschooled. I sent all my work in. Also, I know at least in PA there are online public homeschooling options for all grades, elementary through highschool. So... the face of homeschooling is changing. It isn't always the parent that does the actual schooling...
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I believe if a parent wants to home school their child, then so be it. But if the parent can't spell, or doesn't know math, etc then that parent just needs to send the child to school. I believe it would be unfair to teach a child and not know what you are teaching.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 3:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Would we let a teacher that is overqualified to teach our kids, NO. So I think a parent should at least be able to to the work too. How can you teach something that you don't know. I wouldn't go teach my child how to fly a plane because I don't know how. So if your not well educated yourself then how can you teach your kids what they need to know to be smart or go off to college. My oldest is in gifted classes(Advanced), when it comes to his hw. I have to help him. His dad was in special ed so most of the material that my dd is doing, my husband has no idea. He tells me if I wasn't here then he doesn't know how he would help him.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i wouldnt mind home schooling my kid but then again im not very go at math lol so that wouldn't work lol
    Ksmomma30

Answer by Ksmomma30 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• 100% in total agreement, I think who ever is teaching a child should have to pass some sort of test theirselves, our wonderful babysitter was homeschooled, and honestly she can barely add and subtract,,,so sad but she has failed her GED twice, and the only person to blame is her teacher (mom). It makes me so sad, because she is so bright and funny, and if something doesn't change for her she will be a babysitter forever!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think to each his own. It is none of MY business to pass judgement on how someone else chooses to educate their child. Who are WE to judge?
    Anonymous