Thinking about going natural with my labor need advice...

ok so i have always wanted to try things naturally when it comes to dilivery btu with my 1st my child's father was very unsupportive{infact his words were "PIF you can do that!" and"YOU AINT HAVING A MIDWIFE!" and after 15 hrs i gave in and had a iv to get some rest and a epi and 8 hours later there was my little girl. I had problems with my back afterwards fromt he epi and i am not really looking forward to that again. so now that i am happily married to a loving and supportive husband and we are expecting our first. he has desiced to support me which ever way i choose to go with labor. and i am still wanting to see if i can do it naturally, but i am scared does anyone have good advice that can help me?
i am not using a midwife{sadly there arent any close to my home}
but as in my last birth plan i will not have them ASK ME if i want drugs ill say it if i realyl feel it.
my area doesnt do classes like lamaz only nutrition :(
i would love to hear as many stories and advice please ladies

bamamommy2009

Asked by bamamommy2009 at 2:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No!
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If you don't want medication, make sure everyone that is going to be there knows this. When it gets very painful you will most likely ask for it and if the people you have with you are supporting your decision to go natural they will be more likely to talk you through it and make sure you feel confident enough to make it through. I had my dd "natural" aside from medical intervention (IV, internal fetal monitor, breaking my water). Both of my ds's I had demorol with and I was absolutely happy with that. Just remember that it doesn't last forever and you're a WOMAN! WE WERE BUILT FOR THIS!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Women have had babies with out medication for years and years. It's what we were made for! :) pain tolerance has a lot to do with your reaction. I have a high pain tolerance and don't like complaining. So when I was in labor ( without medication) I breathed through the pain and smiled once the contraction was over with. I had back labor with ds and it was horrible, but I survived and I was so proud of myself for Going through that without medication. you can do it! Just remember what the end result is!! You won't remember the pain when your holding your little one in your arms!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would say my second son was more painful then my first.. I think it's because your body remembers what it went thru the first time... and yes both of them were born naturally.
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 3:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Make a birth plan, make sure everyone knows it (husband/support partner, doctor, hospital, every nurse that comes in your room, etc.).

And hire a doula. I've heard people swear on their doulas. Unlike your husband (who has an essential role to play, no matter what), a doula would only be concerned with you. Your wishes, your needs. (As opposed to worrying about the baby and trying to process everything the doctors are saying and remembering everything you wanted, etc.) And she can communicate that to the appropriate people. Often, they're skilled in natural pain relief techniques and can help you achieve your goals in every way possible. It actually takes a lot of pressure off dad, too, since a doula has been there and knows exactly what to do.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would try to find lamaz classes if you can cuse it really helps. I had to have pitocin because my water broke and I was not haveing any contractions. I didn't get an epi but I did have Nuban half way through. I was getting tired and was having trouble keeping up with my coupleing contractions. everyone is diffrent and that doesn't mean you have to do it one way or the other. You have to do what is best for you. I commend you on trying to do it naturally.

I do recommend the lamaz though. The breathing is what got me through it as well as visualizeing. If I hadn't had those coupling contractions may have made me pass out.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had a shot of dem with my 1st baby & the Dr. said it was good because it loosened my muscles up. The 2nd nothing I begged for some & got nothing! it all happened so fast and was brutal but in the end I am glad it was drug free. Its hard to say concentrate on relaxing etc. because when the moment comes you are going to do your own thing in that moment....breathe through it, scream through it, you can do it.....BUT maybe just in case mention you would like something if its to much before ya can't get anything & too late. You can do it! GL to you.....
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I support your decision! I did not have an epidural with my 2 kids, one was a 17 hour labor and the other was a 5 hour labor. Don't get me wrong the contractions are rough, especially in the end. I was exhausted, crying, and I threw up once with both because they are so strong but our bodies are made for this! Women carry babies, and moms before us did it in potato fields with no medication so why can't we? Why can't you? You body is going to tell you enough, I'm tired, I can't take it, but you CAN! (Unless of course your doctor says otherwise) I have heard that with epidurals it becomes difficult to push, and with both my deliveries pushing was a breeze, it was actually a huge relief! For both of mine the pushing was less than 5 minutes, epidurals can numb you down too much sometimes and of course naturally you feel everything and you have complete control. I feel like a strong and amazing woman for doing things naturally.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You need to have a code word with your husband, just in case you end up laboring forever and NEED something. I know several women who didn't and wish they had. I'm included in that too. Do some studying on the internet about hypnobirthing or natural child birth. There are a lot of great tips and tricks that you can start practicing now. My son was natural and labor lasted forever. By the time he was born I just wanted to sleep and they wouldn't let me. I had lost blood and they wanted me to walk around. Granted that was probably a bad nurse. Just do research online and you'll be fine.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• READ READ READ! Birthing From Within, HypnoBirthing, start meditating NOW, even find a local hypno therapist or someone to walk you through meditation. Look into hiring a doula. If you don't think your SO is as supportive as you would like it is ok to not have him there. Just get some kind of emotional support.

Good luck!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011