Humidifiers

Hi Mommies! I know I can't prevent any little cold here and there but I want to do what I can for my one-year old to be the healthiest. I have been running a warm-mist humidifer EVERY night, and I'm thinking, is it really necessary every night? Is it even benefiting her? During the summer I will switch to a cold mist humidifier - still every night. Is it pointless to be running it everynight? Should I only run it when she actually has a cold?

cj93082

Asked by cj93082 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally run one in my 3 year olds bedroom almost every night.. Sometimes it feels as if the air in the room isnt real dry and on those nights I will not run it. I also run one in my bedroom again not every single night.. Through summer yes I run it every night.
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would go to a medical web site like www.WebMd.com or Dr. Oz or any reputable web site. Good luck to you both.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Humidifier or vaporizer? Running one every night isn't always a good idea - it keeps everything moist which promotes mold growth - especially in the warmer months when it's already humid. It can also harbor bacteria - which isn't going to keep a child healthy. If you're running it constantly already, it's not going to make a difference when your child does get sick. Put it away, and keep it for when the child is sick and really needs it. It's not good to run it night after night after night.
    Anonymous