Is headbutting normal?

I have a son who is 16 months old and just within the last couple weeks he has started headbutting things. I think he learned it from grandpa and thought it was funny but now im starting to worry...he does it all the time and even has hurt himself from doing it but it doesnt seem to stop him..I dont know what I can do to stop this behavior

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's fairly normal. You can mention it to the doc at his next checkup but usually they aren't concernred unless they are bruising themselves
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It was for my son - he did it in frustration or just to hear the sound of it lol.. the phase didn't last but make sure milestones are being met and he's not hurting himself, it will pass!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My daughter used to head butt the wall. It's nothing really serious unless he's doing it really hard. She thought it was funny. She would head butt the wall and start cracking up laughing. I wouldn't worry too much it's just a phase.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• normal I would tell anyone that watches him don't encourage head butting.. if he head butts tell him no in a firm voice if he countines he gets a 1 min time-out
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yea..it's a stage
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011