He fell off the couch!

My 3 mo old just fell off the couch and right away started to cry. I picked him up and he stopped crying within 2 mins. 5 mins later he was playing and laughing but he threw up...he always throws up. So I don't know if I should worry or if he'll be fine. I checked his eyes and they are fine. I don't even know how it happened, it happened so fast and whats worse is I was sitting right next to him. I went to grab something and next thing I knew he was on his tummy screaming on the floor. I feel like such a horrible mom and my husband was really mad and that made me feel worse. Now he's sleeping but he's been fussy all day and I think he was due for a nap. I always said I'd never let my baby fall off of anything!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Calm down mama. If he doesn't seem to be in pain, and there are no visible injuries he should be fine.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Sleeping and throwing up are not a good combination. I know babies get fussy when they are tired but it just gives me the chills to think about a head injury to a baby. Do you know if he hit his head? My son slid off the couch not too long ago, he did not hit his head but was screaming because he was scared. i know how it is, too. Call advise nurse or ER>>>
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 7:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Hun, i freaked when my baby feel too. Being fussy after all can be expected. You'd be in a bad mood too if you fell off something. Just watch him. If he start swaying or acting like he's in major pain, then take him in to be checked. Otherwise, your baby will be ok. It happens!
    michealsmama

Answer by michealsmama at 7:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Most babies fall off the couch or bed at some point and it was not your fault, they usually do all the things that hurt us more than them when we turn for 1 second and are right next to them. Don't beat yourself up over it, you are not a bad mom, just human, and really this is the first of many times you are going to feel this way. Just keep an eye on him, he's probably fine.
    Anonymous

• Calm down hun, he's fine. If he was not acting normal then I would worry. A couch is not that high and he didn't hit his head on anything on the way down. You said he's acting normal and throws up all the time, so I'm sure he's ok. If you are really freaked out, then I would take him in. Don't feel like a horrible mom, sometimes things happen.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Dont torture yourself over this.... we would all like to be those mothers that never let our babies fall off the couch but in all honastly it happens to most of us and it doesnt mean we are bad mothers...when babies start to get more strengh it takes nothing for you to turn your back and for them to filp or flop a certain way and boom on the floor they go!! You would know if your child had a head injury bad enough to go to the DR is pupils would stay dialated and he would be acting funny... you said he always throws up so throw that out and he is fussy maybe from the fall maybe just tired and needed a nap, either way it doesnt sound like you need to worry to much!!! Not to sound insencitive but babies are very limbar little things and can take alot when it comes to a fall!! again dont feel bad it happens to all of us and im sure he is fine!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• He's been fussy because he's teething not because he fell. He seems to be acting normal but I didn't see him fall so I don't know if he landed on or hit his head on the way down. Anyone know how much throwing up is normal after this. He throws up all the time so it's freaking me out that this maybe something wrong or just coincidental to the fall. He slept like normal too...about 30 mins an is now awake again. I think his gums are bothering him more than anything.
    Anonymous

• My niece fell off the couch onto the hardwood floor. My sister took her to the hospital, but she was fine. Your baby fell onto carpet right? I'm sure your little one is fine, especially if he took a nap and is up again and playing like normal. It's ok Mama, everyone has accidents sometimes . . it's not like we can raise them in bubbles.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yes it's carpet and more padded than most carpets I've seen. I think and hope it scared him more than anything, but I still can't help from feeling bad. He's never going on the couch again unless I'm holding him.
    Anonymous

• Don't feel so bad, after all it was an ACCIDENT, and I'm sure he has already forgotten about it!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008