Holding military pay hostage for government funded abortion?

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) said Thursday that Republican pressure to include a rider to a budget deal defunding Planned Parenthood is “stunning” to her as a woman and that Senate leadership will not back down in their support of women’s health issues.

“I am really stunned. And I am angry as a woman that we have come to this after weeks of negotiating on numbers… that there are those in the Republican party in the House who are willing to shutdown the government, take people’s paychecks away from them because they want to deny women access to health care in this country,” Murray told reporters. “Every woman and every man in this country ought to be saying, ‘What are you doing?’”

Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said repeatedly Thursday that the spending talks between Senate Democrats, the White House and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) essentially have broken down in the 11th hour not over figures but over “ideology.”

The funding they are concerned with is for abortion. Since when does Dirty Harry care about women's "health"? He comes from a state that has legal prostitution.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I have been asking myself this question all day long. I don't get it! Makes no sense to me!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This is such a strawman. The money they want to stop issuing to PP through grants isn't even the bulk of their income or operating budget. They're holding up everything over the budget stopping throwing a few pennies at PP, and acting like it's an attack on women's rights. PP will still operate, it will still have funds to run, at most it might have to cut back on a few office supplies. There are budget cuts for other non-federal agencies in there as well, but this is the only one they can try to twist into something it's not (this and the PBS issue where they try to suggest that cutting the tiny portion of federal money that goes to PBS will kill Elmo, even though it's mostly privately funded).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• im in the mlitary and i say im not going to work if i dont get paid people join the army because they have a garunteed pay check
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 4:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You truly can't see the forest for the trees.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Federal money isn't used to pay for abortions.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

Federal money funds PP. The biggest abortion provider in the nation.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

adnilm

Answer by adnilm 5 minutes

WHy don't you enlighten us as to what the forest looks like.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• lol, PP does a heck of a lot more than just abortions. Without them I wouldn't have had BC when I was a teenager because my mother refused to take me.

And good luck nicolia, let me know how it goes with that, lol.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The government should be embarrassed.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sen. John Kyl, R-Ariz., repeated a Republican argument today that abortions are "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does." He later clarified that the statistic, which is inaccurate, was "not intended to be a factual statement."

What a dumb ass....

It's so hilarious yet really sad to me that republican officials claim abortions are federally funded when they aren't at all...they know that is a sore spot for lots of conservatives & they sure are trying to work it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011