Understanding

I think it is fair to say that if there is one true god, that god is misunderstood.

If one true god weren't misunderstood, there would likely be a universal understanding of one true god, one religion embraced or acknowledged. Agree?

Since many believe that the god they pray to, and have faith in, is the one true god, do you think it is possible for that god to explain things to humans in a way that they can understand and unify under/with that one god?

If your answer is no, this begs the question of omnipotence. If he cannot explain his will and his "mysterious" ways, how could this god be considered omnipotent?

If your answer is yes, then you are suggesting that god can explain his motives, but chooses not to. Why would an omnipotent being choose not to explain itself so that all humans understand it, which could lead to the understanding it prefers?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I believe that God wants us to find our own way, that He understands the importance of the journey, of the process. I don't believe it's about the answers, like whether we call Him Allah or Jehova or Krishna, etc, but about the more transcendent truth that DOES exist through most versions of faith - the love and compassion that can be found in each religion and is only missed by the more extreme, fundamentalists of the various faiths. I believe He doesn't even NEED to explain this to us, I believe He has instilled it in our very consciousness, in our humanity, our very nature... I do believe, though, that TELLING us defeats the purpose. This is something we have to FEEL, have to come to understand and cultivate, and it is something most people in the world have come to understand, I think, regardless of what name/s or form/s they give Him, or whether they believe in Him at all...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I believe that God has revealed to us all that we need to know about Him in this lifetime. If I knew absolutely everything there is to know about God now, my Christian walk would be pretty boring. All things are just simply not ours to understand. People have an arrogance about them in the premise that they are entitled to know everything about God and His myriad infinities to a point that they know all there is to know. Ya know? lol. Sorry, I'm probably not doing a very good job of getting my answer across the way I'd like. About evil: God didn't create evil, but rather He allowed for the absence of good. If God had not allowed for the possibility of evil, we would be serving Him out of obligation, not choice..no?

popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm no longer a Christian--for many reasons, but one is that I do not believe in a creator God and had particular problems with the idea that a God could be omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent. If God is both all-knowing and all-powerful, then how can he also be all-good? Either he's not all-knowing, not all-power, or he's cruel--OR not involved in human activity at all (either a Deistic or Pantheistic perspective could explain this in different ways).

Personally, I think everyone is talking about the same thing--that same 'feeling of God' that some people have. Personally, I feel it's an impersonal force of nature--the energy that makes up our bodies and all things around us that make up the Universe as a whole. Different religions and paths exist because different cultures and personalities have different needs when it comes to understanding the world around them. And some accept naturalistic explanations of reality.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This is one of the reasons why a personified deity has really never resonated with me. I'm more of a pantheist, in that I think we are all intrinsically a part of the universe... I think personified deities are created to reflect various different needs of different people in different cultures in different times.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Concerning God, the Bible tells us that we will see him as he is. (1Jn.3:2,3) I can't imagine ever being bored in heaven. I personally don't think they're will be any unknowns in heaven.
    Evil: I don't think God could have allowed the concept of evil without the actions resulting from it. You could then ask the same question about love. Love isn't a concept; it's a reality. If God didn't give us the chance to be evil, there would be no freedom. What would happen if say..every time a person cursed God his tongue rotted out? God could do that, but then He would be ruling the universe through fear. God is not a dictator. He wants us to choose to love and serve Him and to do what is good. Giving us the freedom to choose between good and evil has been His "policy" since the beginning.
    You mentioned neutrality. Adam was morally neutral. He was able to choose to sinn--and he was able to choose not to sin.
    cont....
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It would seem that, if there were a god that were omnipotent and omniscient, he would have planned things better so that everyone could know him and understand him in the same way.  Instead it seems like a bad guessing game, with so many faiths claiming to worship the one true god, but all having a different understanding of what his laws are, how they should be applied, and having a different understanding of the rewards and consequences, without all of the confusing and conflicting stories of the holy books that were written by men who were influenced by the times they lived more than the actual and eternal word of their god.  I'd think that a loving god would want his creations to succeed, rather than let his precious creations flounder in uncertainty, no one really knowing what he wants.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That does seem like a game--and one that any child specialist would frown on if a parent were to play it with his children. Imagine a parent giving a child free reign--maybe a few rules at the beginning of the day, listing a few things that the child must not do, but no other interference--and then sitting back to watch the child make all the wrong choices. At the end of the day, the parent says to the child, "Johnny, I'm very disappointed in the choices you made. I wanted you to worship me and make your play all about how much you love me, but instead, you ate all of the frosting for the cake your mother was going to bake, drew on the walls, pulled the cat's tail, teased your sister and stole our neighbor's basketball. Because you made these choices, you will go to bed without any dinner, and you will have to be punished."

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Great Question!
    I personally don't think He pays that close attention...
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 4:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I honestly don't know :( The thing is that I question what we know of god all the time and everyone says to have a personal relationship with him but how is it possible when what I feel (note I said I feel) differently and get a different message then someone else? That is the key there to me that it is all in my head. The universe in a sense is god. I do not believe in some magical being
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• So if the bible says that mankind is incapable of understanding god then what makes the bible any truer than what the person next to you says? If we can never truly understand god then how are we to believe? Faith ?Faith in what? What we know of this god is in a bible written by man inspired by god! Is what they say just their understanding?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011