I feel like the worst mom ever!

I took my 3 year old to her first dentist appointment today. I'd always heard that they should go when they're 3, but since her birthday everything I've read has said a lot sooner than that. Anyway, at the end of her visit the hygienist told me they found 10 cavities! I couldn't believe it and I started crying in the office. She told me her front 2 teeth would need a crown and maybe one more on the side but that the rest would just need fillings. I thought I was doing a good job at taking care of her teeth...but obviously not. I was also upset because they didn't offer me any suggestions on what I should be doing differently or why her teeth may be so bad. I got online and started researching and it is more than likely caused from me letting her go to bed with a bottle when she was younger.
Has anyone else had this kind of horrible experience with their children's teeth? I'm really wanting to look into some type of sedation options? Any advice??

brittcw87

Asked by brittcw87 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• idk about the other teeth/cavities..but the two front teeth will fall out in a few years. unless they're bothering her, or you have the extra money, i would not crown them. JMHO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am surprised that your Pediatrician didn't mention that to you but then again, I'm not THAT surprised by that with any Dr... grr.. I'm So sorry for you and your little one - I was told by the dentist not to take our son until he was 3..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'd go find another opinion before you start crowning baby teeth! This is ALOT of money you're talking about spending.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You are not a bad mom. Take your daughter for a second opinion.

We had a dental HMO and I took my 2 year old to the doc. She said there were 12 cavities that needed work, and we should come once a month for extra flouride treatment. We went once a month for three months. I called the flouride manufacturer and they told me that the dentist should not be doing that. I went for a second opinion.

NO cavities . . she just had staining from the iron in her multi-vites! There is some scariness right now because Dentists are low on cash. Please take her for a second opinion.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Also, ask your pediatrician about flouride varnish for teeth. My doctor has been pushing this at me since my son got his first tooth.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• These teeth will fall out and new ones will come in but you do need to fix the cavity so it won't bring the new teeth with cavity, is this a children's dentist?? I don't recommend sedation,  they will numb the area enough that there will be no pain,save it for when it is really necessary, it does not hurt it is just intimidating.

Answer by older at 4:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Oh, yes, and this fraud was from a big pediactric dentist.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Get a second opinion, I have not personally had this with my twins (they were born without some on their adult teeth), but dentist have to make money so they will milk your insurance to the futhest. Was this a pediatric dentist you took her too? Don't get too upset lots of mothers have bee through what you are going through, don't be so hard on yourself
    twinblessed

Answer by twinblessed at 4:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Agree that second opinion is the way to go.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• So sorry! You're not a bad mom, you're doing what needs to be done to help you DD. Definitely go to another dentist, if possible, or at least ask the current dentist what you can do to help her out, how to brush properly. I wouldn't get caps on her teeth, unless they hurt, since they'll be falling out w/in the next few years.  Good luck!

JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011