My 2 year old is always telling me she's scared of something.

She's 2 years old and for the past few weeks she has been my shadow. She can never be alone or take a bath without her freaking out about something. When she cries its like she's terrified of something. She would come to me crying and telling me she's scared and would try to tell me what she's scared of when I ask her and I just can't understand what she's trying so hard to tell me. And when a lot is going on all at once she gets all panicky. I don't know if she may have seen something or heard something for her to react this way. My family members who watch her when I'm at work have also told me about her odd behavior. I also went to the doctor to see if this might be a stage and she said yes. I honestly feel like its more than a stage. I'm superstitious and I think it could be a spirit or ghost or something in that nature. What can possibly be going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you know when this started ? was it at bedtime one night or during the day? My son around 2-1/2 started being scared of his room after waking up screaming one night that Grandpa was in his closet, it took a while until he was verbally able to explain that and tell us that - we have since gone through blue /. green night lights which helped a little - a fan for some white noise - led flashlight he could control/keep at bed time and now we have finger flashlights - he would tell us eventually and through the months that grandpa is tall, wearing white and comes to his bed side every night - he was very scared of this - we just had to keep assuring him grandpa won't hurt him, if he is coming to see him its only because he loves him - my son would tell me he had to hide under his blankets- we worked for months about assuring him and understanding and believing him - since the finger flashlights, he hasn't mentioned him since.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• At about the age of two, the whole idea of "monster" emerges. Just give her extra hugs and tell her "you are safe". She will grow out of it.

My son went through that . . he'd point to a shadow and start screaming and crying. I would take him in my arms to investigate, so that he could see it was just a shadow.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• children do go through this phase just keep telling her that she is being protected & has nothing to worry about.. if see her being afraid of just one person thats when you need to investigate if that person is hurting her.. I would teach her the difference between good touches and bad, as all kids around her age should know that..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011