If there is a gov shutdown how will it effect you?

My husband is in the army and I am a SAHM due to it costing more in childcare then I would make. If there is a shutdown I wont be able to pay my rent my water and electric will be shut off I will loose my car and my insurance. I have a soon to be 2 year old and we would have nowhere to go and no money to pay any of our bills.

Just military alone will be devastating. There are deployed soldiers who are now not in the right mindset because they are worried about their families at home not getting paid. I would hate for them to be working and wondering on how to take care of their family at home and not be able to spot an ied because their mind is elsewhere. They are not just messing with peoples pay but their lives.

So how will this effect you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My DH is a car salesman in a military town. Because the military won't be getting all of their pay they are less likely to be buying a car in the next month or so.. or maybe for a while. It could mean a lot less sales and a lot less commission for us. I just hope it doesn't last that long. We're having trouble right now as it is..
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My husband is in the IRS. He will not be going to work until the government goes back to work. We have enough savings to last about three months. I'm more concerned about us getting on each others' nerves when we're home together (I'm a full-time, online student).
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Well, financially it will not affect me (as far as I am aware) but, I will be deeply disappointed with our government. I have family and close friends in the military and cannot even begin to imagine how they are supposed to deal with this. Its just a big embarrassment.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Worst case scenario for us is that my reservist DH won't get his drill pay. We don't put it in our budget - it's for eating out/movies/etc., so we'll live without it. I was a SAHM with a deployed husband once, and my heart hurts for anyone facing this possibility.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it already has, check youre LES
    Anonymous

• I HIGHLY doubt the military will go unpaid. That would be devasting to their ultimate goal (re-election) Most of this is just hype to get people riled up. I believe a worst case scenario being more temporary agreements to keep things doing for a little bit longer. while they hammer out those stupid little issues everyone is so hung up on like PP
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My husband is active duty USAF, I am a stay-at-home mother of 4. While if this shut down only lasts a short while, we won't be affected *that* much, but if it continues, we're screwed. I know several people who's going to be devastated because they cannot afford to not get paid.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Same as you. My hubby is army. It looks like we will be getting half pay on the 15th according to our LES, but what will happen after that...I don't know. What I will be doing is calling the places we pay bills and asking for an extension due to our position in all of this mess. That's if it happens. I guess we will find out at midnight.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My hubby work for a veterans cemetery..he will still be required to work, but will not be getting a paycheck. ~ I'm wondering who is going to pay his GAS to get there!!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• For the women saying to check the les....I have tried to get onto mypay and it is saying that our les cant be viewed at this time and to check back later.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011