Surrogacy?

I am not really sure where to post this question but I am curious to know if any of you have ever been a surrogate mother. If so what is it like? And how did you avoid getting overly attached to the baby while you carried him/her?

Missalissa86

Asked by Missalissa86 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I considered it, but I don't think I could do it if it wasn't for a family member or friend.

Funny story though, when we were watching Friends and Pheobe was being a surrogate, my (then 4 year old) daughter asked what it meant, and I said "Some ladies can't have babies of their own, but they want to be mommies, so another lady will have a baby for them...like if auntie couldn't have a baby but wanted to be a mom, I might have a baby for her" and she replied "OR...we could just give her Esther (my then 6 month old!) LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Lol I love kids! They are so funny! I got really lucky and my 2 year old is VERY protective of my 6 month old. He has been convinced since we brought the baby home that he belonged to him. He even slapped a nurse for making the baby cry when she gave him his 1st shot! When I hold him he always tells me "No mommy! Baby down! Mine!" Lol bad I know, but sooooooo cute!
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My oldest was excited at first, but had a streak of jealousy until she learned to adjust to "sharing mom"...now that I'm pregnant again, I was worried she wouldn't be happy, but she really is, and I think she "gets it" more this time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Totally, and now she is old enough to be your little helper which will probably make her feel less replaced.(or whatever you prefer to call it) My 2 are really close together so I haven't witnessed it, but friends that have kids spaced like that say it helps with the jealousy issue. Congrats on the pregnancy! Did it take you long to conceive or did it just happen?
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My oldest was about 3 1/2 when my 2nd was born, and my 2nd will be about 2 1/2 when the baby is born next month. I had all sorts of fertility issues including a lot of medical intervention with my first, to the point I thought "I'm never going through that again" and was going to foster to adopt with future children...as soon as we had our license...PREGNANT. LOL. We thought we would like to wait until our 2 year old was out of diapers to start trying for a third, and when potty training was going well, we got pregnant immediately. As in, probably the first time we tried...not the first month...the first try. LOL I was really lucky after my first.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011