Does Co Sleeping Lead to SIDS?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 5:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It does not, there is no CAUSE for SIDS. Some of the factors that peditricians believe my not help matters are pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, belly sleeping, and a few other things. In countries where co sleeping is COMMON they have a lower SIDS rate then countries that do not co sleep. IF you are agoing to co sleep, get rid of the comforter and extra pillows. Also do not drink or take anything that can cause you to sleep too hard becuase then you are more likely to roll over on the baby.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 5:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If done under the right circumstances, no. It can reduce the possibility.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No. But, if you are taking medication, drinking, or on really soft bedding or couches, etc., then there is an increased risk of suffocation. Co-sleeping, as any baby arrangement, needs to be well-thought out for safety.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• the number of accidental deaths in an adult bed is only 1.5% of the total cases of SIDS (askdr.sears.com)
    and another site with alot of info supporting co-sleeping (http://thebabybond.com/Cosleeping&SIDSFactSheet.html)

An international childcare survey by the SIDS Global Task Force shows that cultures practicing the highest co-sleeping and bed-sharing rates also experience the lowest SIDS rates. Japan is a good example. In Japan co-sleeping and breastfeeding are both deeply ingrained cultural norms and Japan has the lowest rates of SIDS related deaths in the world.
    (http://www.inhabitots.com/co-sleeping-safer-than-cribs-sids-researcher-james-mckenna/)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Why the thumbs down on Momma Forever?

She actually is correct. There are "theories" of causes of SIDS and correlative data, but we still don't have any evidence of "cause".

My friend's baby passed from SIDS. She now has a foundation that raises money for research, and, to date, there are still only 'theories". No known causes.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• there is a cause for sids actually, low seratonin levels during a heavy sleep and not having reached the ability to turn one's head yet. this is why its best to avoid heavy blankets and putting a newborn on their stomach to sleep. as the article the OP gave, the risks are the same for co-sleeping and crib sleeping. as long as you play it safe either way you're baby will be fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, I don't think so. Now I think there are circumstances (as mentioned above by other posters) that can lead to a baby suffocating, but I don't believe it directly applies to SIDS.

We really didn't begin co-sleeping with our son until after he turned 2 (because he didn't want to sleep in his newly converted crib to toddler bed), but the few times he did co-sleep with us as an infant, he was always placed on top of our blankets/comforters (he had on footed pajamas or a sleeper if it was cold). We actually didn't sleep all that well when he was in bed with us because we always wanted to be careful that we didn't roll over or anything. Needless to say, as an infant, he didn't co-sleep with us as much.

At 4 it's a completely different story. He kicks and rolls over a lot, not hard to miss.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No my kids are alive and healthy.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my kids also survived!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We co-slept part of the time for the first 10 months (he usually started out in the crib, but then ended up sleeping w/ me from 2am until we got up in the morning) and he was fine. We were careful about it too. We only stopped when he was too restless and active to sleep with us, so we started some modified 'sleep training' methods--which worked but I hated them at first.

Personally, I think SIDS is caused by some babies not having the ability to wake themselves up when they're not getting enough oxygen. Most babies can sleep all different ways once they're old enough to roll over. We always put my son on his back and he rolled to his stomach on his own. I worried at first, but there was probably no need to worry if he could do it on his own. I do think co-sleeping should NOT be done with very fluffy bedding or if one of the parents is a smoker or using drugs/medications that make it difficult for them to wake up.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011