C-sections

I know this may seem like a dumb question but I was wondering if you give birth via c-section, for your first child, for the next child you give birth to will you be able to have a natural birth providing there aren't any complications or will you automatically have to have a c-section?

Thank you in advance

SamanthaAnneT

Asked by SamanthaAnneT at 5:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My children are 18 months apart, C-section #1 and VBAC #2. If you will be delivering less than 2 years since your C-section it will probably be difficult to find an OB who will allow VBAC, but it is NOT impossible. Do some calling around, talk to different OB's, and find out if there any women in your area who have had a VBAC so maybe they can recommend an OB/GYN. The OB I was with for my 2nd baby had me convinced for more than half of my pregnancy that no sane doctor would let me VBAC. A friend of mine encouraged me not to give up on what I wanted. So I did some research, found an awesome OB/GYN, and had a perfect VBAC without a single complication. It can be done! GL!!!!!! :)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it depends really. the main thing is which type of care you receive.. from an OB or midwife. OB's generally will not let you VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) but midwives aren't so quick to cut. midwives are more considerate of your desired birthplan. however it is always best to wait 18-24 months between children (both vaginally and c-section, but stuff happens sometimes LOL) because that will give the scar a chance to heal, giving you a better chance at having a vaginal birth.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It depends on how much time there is between pregnancies. My sons are a year apart (same month different days). My first was a c section, and I asked my doctor if I had to have another one and she asked me if I really wanted to explode lol. I think if you've had a few years in between, there shouldn't be any problems (Im sayin like 5 yrs + just in case). Talk to your doctor about it, they will have the best answers =)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 5:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In most cases now you can have a naural child birth after C section, I couldn't because I had hydramnious with my second pregnancy and they were afraid my uterus would burst, it also depends on the reason you had a C section for the first delivery
    mamamel61

Answer by mamamel61 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You can definately have a vaginal birth after a c section. I have a best friend who did it. A lot of things have changed in the delivery field. As long as your doctor has agreed and everything is okay in your pregnancy you can most definately try. Also if you would like look it up on google for more information. I hope I could help you out! By the way her son is the same age as Mackenzie and he is perfectly healthy and developing great!
    KenziesMomma123

Answer by KenziesMomma123 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It really depends. My first was via c-section. She was stuck on my pelvic cause she want to come out face up. Luckily I was able to have natural for my second.
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My OB told me that I could try a V-BAC (vaginal birth after c-section) after the 1st c-section but after the second c-section, a vaginal birth would not be an option if I had a child after that one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thank you guys so much for all of your responses! That's cleared a lot up for me :)
    SamanthaAnneT

Comment by SamanthaAnneT (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011